Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cat 5 set up

Post Thanks / Like

Default cat 5 set up

I can't get the test page to work off the cat 5 cable but works ok with the USB cable.

I have the interface settings

Ip address and gateway address the same and pinged ok
    Net mask I left blank
    Checked E1.31 to enable and etho checked. on the output page and have p-10 panels checked for output.
    What am I missing in the setup to test my cat 5 connection in the test page?
    I want to run everything from xlights but I want to test from the FPP first with the cat 5 cable.
    Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cat 5 set up

What are you calling "the test page"? The FPP has a Web based UI that you access with a browser like chrome or safari. If you connect the FPP to your network using a CAT5 cable, then you need to discover its IP address. The simplest way to do that is to connect a monitor to the FPP and watch the output of the boot. It will print the IP address. There is also an mDNS name for the FPP (I forget what it is) that you can put into the Web Browser to access the FPP. Once you can access the web page you can follow one of the many guides for setting up an FPP.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    What are you calling "the test page"? The FPP has a Web based UI that you access with a browser like chrome or safari. If you connect the FPP to your network using a CAT5 cable, then you need to discover its IP address. The simplest way to do that is to connect a monitor to the FPP and watch the output of the boot. It will print the IP address. There is also an mDNS name for the FPP (I forget what it is) that you can put into the Web Browser to access the FPP. Once you can access the web page you can follow one of the many guides for setting up an FPP.
    I have that IP address and it is 192.168.7.2 as I am using windows. I put in my static IP address and ping I get the ok message that it's ok. The problem is that it will not connect by the cat 5 cable alone. It will only connect with both connected and that will not work for running my show in XLIGHTS.
    I want to run a test of my panels from the FPP site thru the cat 5 connection only.
    How do I do this?
    Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like

How are you connecting the Cat5, to your home network (switch/router) or directly to your PC? When you connect via the USB and you go to the FPP network setup, what is the settings for "eth0"? Post pictures if you can.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, the raspberry PI does not "connect" using the uUSB adapter. At least on the PI 1 and PI II it is used as a power connection. I don't have a PI III or a PI zero so I do not know if they have the same setup.

So lets start with a bit of information on the hardware: On which version of the Raspberry PI (RPI) have you installed the FPP software? Or are you using the Beagle Bone Black (BBB)?
    Which version of the FPP software did you install on the RPI/BBB.

If you are running your show via xLights, what are you using the FPP software for?

If you are running the FPP softwre, then you do not need xLights to test your panels. FPP provides a fairly rich set of test patterns.

However, based on your statements, I suspect what you really have is an F16V(1/2/3), which is NOT an FPP (although V3 can act as an FPP slave). In this case the CAT 5 is all you need once you have set up the network interface properly. But the instructions would be vary different than those for the FPP.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to insert image and it said upload fail. I took the picture with my camera and copied the file to my computer and tried to upload it but can't. Any ideas what is wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just run the test from xlights from the computer to the BBB and bypass the Fpp since the page runs ok thru the USB?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably need to change the size of the picture, it is probably too big to upload.

The easiest way get a screenshot is to hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard (or Alt+Print Screen which will only copy the active windows not the entire screen). Then open "Paint" and "Paste" the image. Then save a JPEG.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
    I tried to insert image and it said upload fail. I took the picture with my camera and copied the file to my computer and tried to upload it but can't. Any ideas what is wrong?
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

I think you mentioned that you are using windows 10. There is a utility called snipping tool. Open it , click new, use your mouse to outline what you want to capture, save it to a jpg file and attach to a post.

10. Likes scootchu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
    Can I just run the test from xlights from the computer to the BBB and bypass the Fpp since the page runs ok thru the USB?
    Please give us a clear description of the equipment you are using. It is very difficult to help out without knowing the environment.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast