Thread: 10w RGB Flood Kit from RobG - Finding Enclosure

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10w RGB Flood Kit from RobG - Finding Enclosure

I purchased some 10W RGB flood light pixel kits from RobG on Tindie but need an enclosure to put it in. I bought some but they turned out to be too small to fit the pcb board and led. They also did not have the screw holes to mount the led to the frame to act as a heat sink. I have seen this mentioned before and people have supplied links to e-bay but those sales are over now so doesn't help me find some. Can someone help me find the right enclosures to go with these? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 10w RGB Flood Kit from RobG - Finding Enclosure

I'm interested as well.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice if someone doing business in China would find a design that works for all the wattages and put them in a store so we could just buy "that one" and know that our rgb flood leds would fit, had proper cooling, and sealed against the rain. Anyone care to take up the challenge?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    These fit the pixel kits from RobG and have the mounting holes for the led to screw into? And of course they don't ship to Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trioxide View Post
    These fit the pixel kits from RobG and have the mounting holes for the led to screw into? And of course they don't ship to Canada.
    Pretty much everything on the 10W floods is DIY. I remember drilling out the LED mounts and retapping them 6-32 or 8-32 (they are metric). You have to put hot glue, silicone or a backer on the LED boards to keep them from shorting out on the body, and I drilled out a second hole in the back for a gland for input and output connectors. I had planned to build 6 more this year but it is way down on the list due to time constraints.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an e-mail from RobG and he said:

Hi,
    I got many enclosures from this guy (he used to ship from US, now only from China)

Light fixtures 10W-50W led flood light 12v 10W Storage Battery Light | eBay

s-l1000.jpg
    Led Type: 10W-50W 12volt led flood light. 1 DC led flood light without plug. It can not be used for 110v Ac directly, a transformer needed. Base color: Black Case. Material: aluminum and stalinite. Warm Reminding. | eBay!

Ask him to ship floods exactly like the ones on the picture, single 10W LED.
    Cheers,Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    You have to put hot glue, silicone or a backer on the LED board to keep them from shorting out on the body
    This portion of your post is a little confusing. The back of the LED should be coated with Thermal Grease to help with heat dissipation and yes the back of the PCB should have some type of protection from shorting. I don't want someone to make a mistake and seal the LED.
    Last edited by danozfw; 08-14-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, I said the board, not the LED. A little thermal paste on the LED will help with heat dissipation.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    These are a good fit. I bought them and was able to get a great mount on them. I had to drill out one hole bigger to get four wires from the light to the back to mount the RGB cable. I also set mine up with an in and out three wire cable so I could daisy change with my other pixels.