Thread: Mixed displays

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mixed displays

I was just wondering who did mixed displays of static lights and sequenced light shows? I've thought of changing my whole light show this year to having static lights on my house and run my show on my side yard(probably a mega tree with several mini trees and a few other props, I have 72 channels).I have a wide lot where my house sits on the left side and a huge side yard just kind of sitting there with not much in it. My wife likes Christmas lights but she likes the constant on with decorations in the yard and no flashing lights but I'm just the opposite. So what I'm trying to do is please her this year and still have fun with the lights my self. Just wondering if anyone here does the same thing and how well it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes ozarkboy2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mixed displays

We've done something like that too. I snag "Free" artificial Christmas tree's off of Craigslist.org and other web sights. Several of those free tree's we light up, and decorate the front yard with. One tree we even use with our Peanuts characters that we made in 2014 and 2015.
    The rest of the house and front and side yard are in used in the 64 Light O Rama channels that we have.
    BobChristmas2015-4.jpgChristmas2015-8.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda have that going on. I have GE LED C9's on bushes and when the show is over they stay on and assorted other lights around the yard. Can't go black.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a mix of static and blinks flashy. Basically the house is outlined in c9s(roughly 350 of them) that stay on all the time and then the lawn and icicle lights are the blinks flashy. I have a 10 foot tree with 8 channels 5 arches and 4 3 foot mini trees in the show. I used about 25 of my 32 channels because I ran out of time. On my side yard I put all the blow molds inflateables and other stuff I can't live without. I call it the island of misfit toys. I don't have anyone to answer to so just do what I think looks good but I can't go dark. The show looked good and I got nothing but positive feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

An excellent example of a "blended" show is at magicchristmas.org.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the I have no one to answer to lol. I guess I'm the same way as long as my kids like it then I could care less what others think. Ozarkboy I too use artificial trees in my display, last year Menards had 3ft mini trees for like 4 or 5$ and I bought 4 to use for mini trees. I just wondered how long they would hope up to the rain, wind, and snow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog87 View Post
    I was just wondering who did mixed displays of static lights and sequenced light shows? I've thought of changing my whole light show this year to having static lights on my house and run my show on my side yard(probably a mega tree with several mini trees and a few other props, I have 72 channels).I have a wide lot where my house sits on the left side and a huge side yard just kind of sitting there with not much in it. My wife likes Christmas lights but she likes the constant on with decorations in the yard and no flashing lights but I'm just the opposite. So what I'm trying to do is please her this year and still have fun with the lights my self. Just wondering if anyone here does the same thing and how well it looks.

I do a hybrid type display. The mega trees are sequenced to music but everything else is static.
    2013 - 6,000 Incans all static, 1 mega tree
    2014 - 12,500 Incans all static, 27 wireframes, 3 mega trees
    2015 - 20,000 Mostly LED, 45 wireframes, 4 mega trees, 72 renard channels, 16 LOR channels

https://www.facebook.com/lightsonthestoneyridge

Post Thanks / Like

I run an AC display that I also put to music. I have blow molds, wire frames, a mega tree made of LED string lights and other ac items. I personally think pixels dont feel very christmas-y so I stick with more traditional items and just put those to music using LOR controllers and software.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping for 10,000+ Lights

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Post Thanks / Like

I have been asked to do something like that. I think the first request was "keep it classy dad" and the second was "i don't want griswold". I have not implemented but have thought occasionally to leave house and reindeer alone and just blink the rest. I encourage you to go for it and let us know how it turns out!