Thread: SSR's with a Raspberry Pi

Post Thanks / Like

Post SSR's with a Raspberry Pi

Hey all!
    Last year, I used zparticle's setup with Sainsmart SSR's (replaced the relays to do zero-cross) and the ft232rl breakout board with an Arduino. It was set to random-mode since I wasn't too picky last year (also preparing for a baby to arrive, so less effort).

This year, I'd like to add RGB's going with music on a Raspberry Pi.

My question is: Anyone used the ft232rl breakout board to SSR's (zero-cross) and RGB's (AlphaPix controller) with their Raspberry Pi using xLights on Falcon together? Haven't started testing yet, but just curious..

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SSR's with a Raspberry Pi

Are you asking if anyone will be using a Rasberry Pi to control RGB lights and AC lights?

I will be using a Rasberry Pi this year to provide the signals for my old Arduino MEGA SSRs and for new pixels via ESPixelsticks.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Are you asking if anyone will be using a Rasberry Pi to control RGB lights and AC lights?

I will be using a Rasberry Pi this year to provide the signals for my old Arduino MEGA SSRs and for new pixels via ESPixelsticks.

Yeah, wasn't sure how folks were doing it (when adding the SSRs with E1.31). Are you using the GPIO's or E1.31 on the Mega? What type controller you selecting in xlights for the SSR's? Wasn't sure if folks are utilizing the ft232rl breakout board and using the USB on the Raspberry Pi? Thinking the drivers should be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Well first of all, I use Vixen so am not familiar with Xlights.
    For the pixels, I will be using the ESPixelsticks by Sporadic. They communicate wirelessly from the wifi router that the Pi is connected to.
    For my AC lights, I will be using VictorPV or Zparticle sketch on the MEGA. Right now they communicate by USB cable directly connected to the Pi.
    I am hoping to modify one of the MEGA sketches to accept Renard protocol so that I can use an ESPixelstick for wireless comunication.
    Hope this helps.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Well first of all, I use Vixen so am not familiar with Xlights.
    For the pixels, I will be using the ESPixelsticks by Sporadic. They communicate wirelessly from the wifi router that the Pi is connected to.
    For my AC lights, I will be using VictorPV or Zparticle sketch on the MEGA. Right now they communicate by USB cable directly connected to the Pi.
    I am hoping to modify one of the MEGA sketches to accept Renard protocol so that I can use an ESPixelstick for wireless comunication.
    Hope this helps.
    I was thinking of using Vixen, but didn't have a beefy enough machine. So might as well use what I have.. so went with Raspberry Pi using xLights. :-)
    That's what I needed to know: that it worked via USB directly to the Pi. Of course, I have fading (zero-cross), so not sure how that's gonna work yet.
    When kids allow, testing will begin. ;-)

Thanks again, Kevin!

Post Thanks / Like

the fading should work the same. Your zero cross detection is part of the MEGA setup. All the Pi is doimg is feeding data to your MEGA instead of having your computer running the show.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: SSR's with a Raspberry Pi

the fading should work the same. Your zero cross detection is part of the MEGA setup. All the Pi is doimg is feeding data to your MEGA instead of having your computer running the show.
    Oh yeah, that's right! Gonna let the Mega do the worrying for me. ;-)

Thanks Kev!