Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Arduino Uno & Vixen 3: Need help with sketch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino Uno & Vixen 3: Need help with sketch

Quote Originally Posted by LightUp View Post
    resjsu:
    I too recall some past discussion on the number of Vixen minimum number of bytes, or channels.

I thought it was 3 bytes; 1 data byte, one header byte and one footer byte. So if you don't use a header and footer, Vixen is still setup to send a minimum of 3 bytes. But I haven't verified it. Should be easy to test with a simple sketch.

If you claim that 1 channel can be sent in a MEGA board but not the UNO board then I would suspect your testing method. The UNO and MEGA should read the same channels, or serial data train, from Vixen.

I couldn't find the former discussion dealing with one data channel.
    Lightup,
    I did not mean the mega accepted 1 byte/channel and the uno would not. What I meant was I had already tested my ac light and ssr with the mega so I know the circuit worked but what I had forgotten was how I modified the sketch during that trial. When I went to rerun the test on the UNO, since I had forgotten how I modified the sketch (I couldnt find the sketch I used previously) I created a new sketch for the UNO and my 1 ac light using 1 channel and it didnt work. When I increased the channel count it worked so obviously in my first attempt I probably had a few channels specified but again I forgot what I did the first go around. On my 2nd attempt I assumed all I needed was 1 channel but I was wrong.

When I said I played it and the mega worked fine its because the mega was running the PWM sketch connected to the LEDs and the UNO has the victor sketch with the 1 ac light; this was my first attempt at running both controllers at once.

I can try a few more channel counts, all I know is 1 doesnt work and 6 does work haha.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks for setting me straight. I sometimes misunderstand people...

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update...
    Thanksgiving vacation set me back a bit but I am still in a mad rush to get the project wrapped up.

See attachment.

I am working on the main control board and I decided to go with 3 megas. I just have to solder everything together and I should be ready to turn everything.

I have had the hardest time trying to figure out how to attach my led strips to my house. I really dont want to staple or nail so the best I could come up with is I am go to zip tie the strips to some random wood trim I found at THD and then im going to clip (using strong clips) the trim to the shingles edges. The clips are pretty damn strong so I dont think theyll fall off too easy.

I built a quick roof ladder to get to the highest peak on my house and it worked but I think I need to build a slightly more rigid ladder, ill post a pic of it later if I can.

Anyways, everything is coming together.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Likes kev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kev,
    Im getting ready to mount everything outside but im a little worried about the electronics. I did not buy a dribox I just bought a thicker tote from THD and was going to seal as best as possible. I know itd be hard for you to give an opinion but do you think I should be concerned about the electronics? The tote will be mounted in our porch so no chance for direct rain/sunlight/wind etc. It will have a lid and be as sealed as possible but still I am worried about humidity.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a lot of other folks pictures of their controllers and power supplies in common totes or plastic storage boxes, so I don't think you will have a problem. As far as humidity, I really don't know. Here in Southern California, the humidity is relatively low, though last year we had a good amount of rain and I did not have any problems. If you are worried about humidity, you could put some desiccant packages or cat litter(wrapped in a coffee filter) in the bottom of the container.

Where are you located?
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    I have seen a lot of other folks pictures of their controllers and power supplies in common totes or plastic storage boxes, so I don't think you will have a problem. As far as humidity, I really don't know. Here in Southern California, the humidity is relatively low, though last year we had a good amount of rain and I did not have any problems. If you are worried about humidity, you could put some desiccant packages or cat litter(wrapped in a coffee filter) in the bottom of the container.

Where are you located?
    Kev,
    I apologize, I live in Alabama. I am still not done getting the lights up haha. This project was a lot bigger than I originally intended. Additionally, this is our first Christmas in the house we are in so I was unfamiliar with putting up lights in general. However, yesterday I finished the ac lights, the control box is mounted and everything minus the led strips runs perfect. It already looks quite nice but the led strips should cap off the show. I had a quick question, it seems in my rush I forgot to account for resistors on the pwm pin as seen here https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips/usage. I am using these https://www.adafruit.com/product/355 beefy transistors and all my strips are singles as in I dont have 2 strips wired together so each transistor is just working 1 5m strip at most. Can I do without the resistors? I have a plan for how to attach them after the fact but itd be easier to exclude them.

How is your project going this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello guys! so, i have arduino Uno, and 16 channel relay. i would like if you guys can share me a sketch that works for arduino Uno to communicate with Vixen 16 channel. Thank you!

this is the relay i got.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Channel-...53.m2749.l2649

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

resjsu:
    you need the resistors to limit the base current. You will be putting too much load on the Arduino outputs without them. Your NPN transistor is basically a diode (base to emitter with 0.7V) connected from the Arduino output to ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by resjsu View Post
    Kev,
    I apologize, I live in Alabama. I am still not done getting the lights up haha. This project was a lot bigger than I originally intended. Additionally, this is our first Christmas in the house we are in so I was unfamiliar with putting up lights in general. However, yesterday I finished the ac lights, the control box is mounted and everything minus the led strips runs perfect. It already looks quite nice but the led strips should cap off the show. I had a quick question, it seems in my rush I forgot to account for resistors on the pwm pin as seen here https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips/usage. I am using these https://www.adafruit.com/product/355 beefy transistors and all my strips are singles as in I dont have 2 strips wired together so each transistor is just working 1 5m strip at most. Can I do without the resistors? I have a plan for how to attach them after the fact but itd be easier to exclude them.

How is your project going this year?
    Well, if it is not working without the resistors, then you probably need to add them as LightUp suggested. How did you wire them for your testing? With resistors or without? The Adafruit link shows using resistors with TIP120 transistors, but does not show using resistors with the IRLB8721 MOSFETs. I am not sure if you would require resistors or not. I am using a different MOSFET and am using two resistors to bias the MOSFET.

My show is working pretty good. I want to put up a video but have not gotten a good one yet.
    Last edited by kev; 12-19-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, your 2nd link did show a mosfet, which don't need the resistor, unless you get parasitic oscillations. I overlooked that link when I responded previously. I sometimes read too quickly.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast