Thread: Advice on putting pixels in inflatables.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on putting pixels in inflatables.

I purchased some 9 led rgb modules for another project and have quite a few left over. We do a Halloween display and I light up the white inflatables with pixels. Typically I just string bullets or strips inside dangling from the top with an ESPixelstick. Works fine. The problem is you can usually see the pixels moving around inside if the wind blows. Nobody really notices, but I do. In my picture you can see the eyeball inflatables. I'm thinking about cutting a small incision in the back of each section and put the module in and screw it around the fabric since the modules have the nuts included with them. I was hoping by screwing them around the fabric it would prevent the fabric from tearing. Before I experiment with that, I was curious if anybody has tried anything like that and if successful.

inflatable1.jpginflatable2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice on putting pixels in inflatables.

Unless you are good with that material, I have found that once a hole starts, it can't be stopped. I will continue to open up. Why not do what the Inflatable companies do. They stitch in ribbon on the seams to tie their lights. They add the ribbons in the middle to stabilize the bulbs to keep them from swinging around. I have done the same with repairs but used safety pins to hold the ribbons. Three points per bulb holds them fairly firm. I generally do a connection at the top and a set every third of the length of the inflatable. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

We've stitched Velcro ties into the seams at a few points. After sewing them in, we cover the stitching with seam sealer made for tents. It's been working well so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of inflatables, and I routinely use Gorilla tape to repair tears. I had an inflatable last year that had these dinky little LEDs (and not many of them) instead of the 7C lights they usually use, so I put in a string of C7 lights (with covers) by putting a length of clear Gorilla tape on the fabric near the motor, inserting the string of lights (using the ties designed for those LEDs), then putting a slit in the tape and running the plug out of it. Has held up very well, and there hasn't been any additional tearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever replaced the motors that makes things move? I have a reindeer with an elf on his back that does a 180 circle motion front to back. The motor needs replaced and I looked at the place that sells blowers with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk