Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Injection Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Injection Question

I'm using a power supply like this which has 3 positive and 3 Negative terminal outputs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one pair that goes to the controller for power and I need to setup power injection for my longer lines.

Can I use another set of outputs for the power injection or should I stack in onto the first one? Does it matter? Would I need to link the negatives?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Power Injection Question

Each set of three screws is most likely tied to a common line on the PCB (at least mine are). You can prove this by using an ohm meter between each of the three screws in the set. Think of it like this: The power supply has a single V+ and a single V- output. Each of those is tied to three screws at the edge of the power supply.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khargy View Post
    I'm using a power supply like this which has 3 positive and 3 Negative terminal outputs:

Can I use another set of outputs for the power injection or should I stack in onto the first one? Does it matter?
    I'd like to add, that you can use the other screw terminals for power injection... but you need to fuse them. I use an inline fuse holder made for automotive needs. Otherwise your injection circuits won't be protected and could lead to a serious meltdown. (Statements made from experience)

Jeff
    13th original member

4. Likes azbacks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Millard View Post
    I'd like to add, that you can use the other screw terminals for power injection... but you need to fuse them. I use an inline fuse holder made for automotive needs. Otherwise your injection circuits won't be protected and could lead to a serious meltdown. (Statements made from experience)

Jeff
    Thanks, I just got these:

Is that what you had in mind?

So what exactly happened? Too much amperage going over the wire? Did the wire melt? Fire?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khargy View Post
    Thanks, I just got these:

Is that what you had in mind?

So what exactly happened? Too much amperage going over the wire? Did the wire melt? Fire?
    Yup. That's what I was about to order also. What size fuse do they take? Mini, regular, maxi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pburton View Post
    Yup. That's what I was about to order also. What size fuse do they take? Mini, regular, maxi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the fuses (I believe they are "regular"):

I tested that they physically fit in the holder, but I haven't wired anything up with them yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the same thing I use. I didn't protect the power injection, squirrel shredded the insulation. Scratch a power supply and a pile of melted wire.

Jeff
    13th original member

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a silly question ?? What size fuse do you use on each run from the power supply to your power injection ?? I will be using a 5 volt system.
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

Post Thanks / Like

If you are injecting every 50 pixels, 5 Amps for each injection point should do it. Make sure your wire sizes are capable of that current level as well (both V+ and Ground/Earth).
    Last edited by ezellner; 07-27-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried writing something on the Form Web, but it locked up. I was able to to get a screen shot but not to edit. If you are interested, try reading this as an attachment and look at the sketch.

Fusing Text m.jpg
    Fusing.jpg
    In Lights Therapy...

12. Thanks azbacks thanked for this post
    Likes azbacks liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast