Thread: Questions on border effect and layering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions on border effect and layering

First off, Jon it was great meeting you at the expo. Thanks for pushing out the development release that had the border effect. I warned you either myself or my daughter would have more questions. We are playing with the border effect on the grid. I have gotten the desired effect I want using layering with border and pinwheel to give that scrolling effect. The problem I am having is I cannot figure out how to put Merry Christmas in the middle and it show up. I still have a problem understanding layering. Any advice on getting this working?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions on border effect and layering

I thought I replied to this earlier, but evidentally I didn't save it.

What you need to get this done is just two layers. One is the default layer and a second layer will be set to the "mask and fill" type. leave the text effect on the default layer, and put the border on the "Mask and Fill" layer. This will take the active pixels of the border and cut out those pixels from the text effect and at the same time fill the space with the border.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions on border effect and layering

I also wanted to circle back on the pinwheel example I was trying to show in the class. It must have been too early in the morning and my brain wasn't working yet. To make an effect where the border is filled with another effect, you would use the border as an intensity overlay layer to the other effect. put the base effect you're using to fill on the lower layer and the border effect one layer higher. Set that higher layer to be an intensity overlay.

To combine this with the above example for text in a frame, you'll need 3 layers
    Top Layer:
    Name: Border
    Type: Intensity Overlay
    Effect: Border Effect

Middle Layer:
    Name: Border Decoration
    Type: Mask and Fill
    Effect: Pinwheel Effect (or any other effect you want to use to decorate the border itself)

Default Layer (lowest layer)
    Effect: Text Effect (or whatever else you want to put inside the border)