Thread: max Length btw USB and Teensy to operate (Vixen data flow)

Post Thanks / Like

Default max Length btw USB and Teensy to operate (Vixen data flow)

Hi,

Does anybody know the max length for an USB cable connected on a Vixen Laptop (USB 2.0) and a Teensy controler.
    Is there a limit in communication range, so at what range do VIXEN don't get all data out to the controler and we got mixups in the light display?

Greetings
    Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: max Length btw USB and Teensy to operate (Vixen data flow)

I think the USB 2.0 specification distance is 5 meters. So I bought a 65 foot (20 M) USB extender from Monoprice last year. I connected my Arduino MEGA without any issues. They make a longer one (82 feet) as well.
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that Vixen is an application running on a computer and is not in control of the computers ability to create a clean USB signal.

Different computers use different chips to implement the USB interfaces. The spec is 5M (16'). You can go longer if you have a well designed interface and good cable. You can also insert USB hubs at strategic locations to get a bit more distance.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thx for the details.
    It should be a 10m distance. Therefore I think i will run the controler next to the computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, if going a longer distance in USB, you may look at the extension cables. But pick one that has a repeater built in. This will keep the signal from degrading.

Post Thanks / Like

even better is an active USB over cat5 converter pair. They're similar price to USB booster/repeater cables, but you can make the cat5 yourself and make it any length you like.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ext...=usb+over+cat5