Thread: Do these exist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do these exist

I'm looking for 5 meter strip lighting, 5v, does not have to be pixels can be a dumb strip. I've searched and can only find small 1 meter versions. What I'm doing is running these off my boat battery. Since it's a 12v system the moment it drops below 11.5 I get flicker or lights change colors. My thoughts are that if I go with a 5v system, I should not see a dramatic flicker or color change. Yes, I will have to deal with power injection but won't be an issue as I can hide the power leads behind the rub rail. Any thoughts on where to find these...without breaking the bank?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do these exist

Did you try 12V dumb strips or pixels? I'd think the dumb strips would be be tolerant to that.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster519 View Post
    I'm looking for 5 meter strip lighting, 5v, does not have to be pixels can be a dumb strip. I've searched and can only find small 1 meter versions. What I'm doing is running these off my boat battery. Since it's a 12v system the moment it drops below 11.5 I get flicker or lights change colors. My thoughts are that if I go with a 5v system, I should not see a dramatic flicker or color change. Yes, I will have to deal with power injection but won't be an issue as I can hide the power leads behind the rub rail. Any thoughts on where to find these...without breaking the bank?
    Something like these?
    http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.p...roducts_id=176

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster519 View Post
    Hi, I'm unable to offer an answer at this time but I would bet it's not the pixels at fault. The 12V and the 5V can run at much lower voltages they just get dimmer. I haven't tested the 12V but the 5V will run as low as 2.8V. I suspect the controller struggles below 12V and sends out incorrect data, if so a boost converter may fix your problems. Can you post some more details about your system please.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of pixels, I've run 12V Pixabulbs and my controller off a 7.4V lipo and they were just fine. Could be noise from the boat charging system.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sporadic; 07-14-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have 12 volt installed and am having the issue. It's a small fishing boat with no charging system installed. We had it out last night everything was fine running for the first hour then as the battery slowly died, so did the colors. Yes, those are what I was looking for. Not sure how I missed though...even looked on that site.