Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPixelStick V2 now available via Amazon Prime

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick V2 now available via Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by timbellomo View Post
    Are there plans to make more available soon? I looked a couple of days ago and there were 18 - today, none. Hoping to get to experiment in time for this season.
    I'm showing my shipment from last week just arrived today. Hopefully they'll have them checked in some time later today.
    thanks,
    -shelby
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY6l3Fd1SM8viL-Q76DVHtjltwR6XbOc7]2014 Christmas Videos[/url] - [url=http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?3261-Candlewick-Lights-2014-video-and-details]Write Up[/url]
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY6l3Fd1SM8sTEvf6hIhPJX9rWgfbSmRX]2013 Halloween Videos[/url]

[URL="http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?1255-Generic-Dongle-HSXP-2108G&p=15008&viewfull=1#post15008"][COLOR="#FF0000"]Warning on cheap USB RS485 dongles - You get what you pay for...[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="https://github.com/forkineye"]My GitHub Stuff[/URL] | [URL="http://kw4fb.com"]My Ham Radio Stuff[/URL] | [url]http://forkineye.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I saw them in stock last week. Guess I shouldn't have waited as they're now out of stock. Bummer

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a good place to go to figure out *what* an PSPixelStick is (how it works, what it does, what it requires, etc.) for those of us that are a bit newish?

I've seen tons of threads about it, but still can't quite get-it. I didn't see a description on the Wiki either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Is there a good place to go to figure out *what* an PSPixelStick is (how it works, what it does, what it requires, etc.) for those of us that are a bit newish?

I've seen tons of threads about it, but still can't quite get-it. I didn't see a description on the Wiki either.
    the theories behind it is.... 1 small controller that can do 600 pixel + and is wireless so no need to have a cat 5 all around the yard to control them . so enough to do 1 medium tree or 10 minitree or what ever other prop you can imagine all over the yard ,,no wire ,,, .and its only $20 lol
    cheer

Post Thanks / Like

+1

I don't see how an ESPixelStick is different from (e.g.) a Wemos D1 Mini if you're running 5V pixels. Would love someone to explain (or point to an explanation) before I buy the wrong thing.

Incidentally, I can't find the ESPixelStick on Amazon. I don't know whether that's because it's out of stock or doesn't ship here or what.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to go to sporadic's (Shelby's)web page. The info is not in the wiki. Just find a post in this thread and his info is in his signature block.
    Pixel sticks is also a term that is a bit generic here in the forum.

There are sticks for Renard protocol, GECE protocol, there is Shelby's ESPixel stick, there are the variants developed originally by Bill Porter (madsci1016)
    and my variants of Bill's work: ESPixel Pops & ESPixel Pops tiny. Bills info is also on his personal web page (www.billporter.info). The 'Pixel Pops' variants have a wiki (under some construction) at:
    http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...6_ESPixel_Pops

7. Likes Gaffmstr, LightUpMA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbotte View Post
    the theories behind it is.... 1 small controller that can do 600 pixel + and is wireless so no need to have a cat 5 all around the yard to control them . so enough to do 1 medium tree or 10 minitree or what ever other prop you can imagine all over the yard ,,no wire ,,, .and its only $20 lol
    cheer
    And it's powered by the ether? 1 outputs, or 600? You load FPP on it (like a RPi), or does a Master RPi control it, or how exactly does this portion work?

Post Thanks / Like

From http://forkineye.com/wp-content/uplo...-and-Usage.pdf

"The ESPixelStick is a wireless (802.11g/n) pixel controller that interfaces as a standard sACN / E1.31 controller and supports a varietyof pixel types. It also supports serial (RS-232) output of DMX1 and Renard protocols."

What all that means is that you send messages to it via WiFi and it turns on the corresponding pixels. You can configure it, including updating the firmware, over WiFi from a Web browser. I think you power it with 12VDC, or maybe 5V (that's not entirely clear to me).

It is a lot less powerful than a RPi... you load the ESPixelStick firmware (or some variant thereof) on it. The ESPixelStick has one serial output, which can control hundreds of WS2811 pixels, or a number of other devices via the Renard or DMX1 protocol. You could control it (I think) using FPP on a RPi, or probably from some software on a PC (I don't know what), so long as it can talk the E1.31 protocol over Wifi.

So the typical scenario is that you place one of these physically at the end of each LED pixel strip, running off the same power that supplies the LEDs.

So it still seems to me that a Wemos D1 mini (plus a 12V/5V buck converter if you have 12V pixels) does the same job for a fraction of the price. Admittedly a D1 doesn't have a fuse or 2 push-buttons or screw terminals.
    Last edited by frankv; 09-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. So this concerns me:

"Just like a wired show network, your wireless show network should be separate from your home network and dedicated solely for
    your show. Due to the simplex nature of 802.11, your sACN source (Vixen, xLights, FPP, etc.) MUST be hardwired or you will
    experience significant show lag as the access point will become overloaded very quickly."

Running my normal config (multiple wireless RPi, with a combo of X16 outputs and several RPI Hats, all driven by the master-Pi), the "master-Pi" is considered my sACN souce? And since I keep it wireless (since all my .fseq files are remotely stored on the various Pi), I would probably have an issue using the ESPixelStick?

Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting.
    I believe you are correct that the Wemos D1 mini could also function as a pixel stick controller, especially if you don't try to power the pixels through the controller.
    I have looked and you can get these for $4 each shipped from China.
    Hmmmm.... I'm not sure if this would end up less expensive than the ESPixel Pop or not. it would have to be less to give up the connection convenience of a purpose built controller.
    However, I think this may be worth exploring.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankv View Post

So it still seems to me that a Wemos D1 mini (plus a 12V/5V buck converter if you have 12V pixels) does the same job for a fraction of the price. Admittedly a D1 doesn't have a fuse or 2 push-buttons or screw terminals.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast