Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffer/line driver - null pixel without pixel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buffer/line driver - null pixel without pixel

Quote Originally Posted by CFPSystems View Post
    Thanks. So just to be clear...

Just the Orange/White wire (single conductor), not the pair of Or/Wh & Wh/Or for data?

Charlie-
    Correct

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_5175.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    Correct
    Thanks!

So I did some experimentation and believe I can get away with the following chain:

E682 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 ≈ 120' total

Then:

MiniTree + Star (120px) [Driver] repeat for a total of 6 trees (all for signal)

Question becomes then powering this string:

So I would add a 12v 30a PS on the far end of this chain, run a 12/2 wire the opposite direction and inject power and ground (V+ & V-) at each tree?

I attached a diagram but am not sure if this is the correct way to do it. I have searched around the site and have found multiple ways, but it seems that this thread is more on-pace to what I am trying to do.

Even on RobG's wiki here.

It does not show the driver and power injection (or at least I am not seeing it or it is named something different).

I have multiple areas of my yard that I will need to "add power" but want to make sure I get it right on one string before I go and buy the rest of the stuff.

Also, Would the 3-position tees and plugs work at each juncture to make teardown and storage easier (assuming my logic is correct?)

Thanks,
    Charlie-

PS - I added my image 2x and don't see it in the preview - so if it shows up twice I apologize (I tried .png and .jpeg), if it doesn't show up at all then I need to learn how to do that too!
    Last edited by CFPSystems; 09-04-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Scaled image and tried to re-add

Post Thanks / Like

The null pixel driver uses almost no power. You do not need to inject any power on that chain. Power from one end is all you will need.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_5175.jpg

Thanks!

So I did some experimentation and believe I can get away with the following chain:

E682 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 ≈ 120' total

Then:

MiniTree + Star (120px) [Driver] repeat for a total of 6 trees (all for signal)

Question becomes then powering this string:

So I would add a 12v 30a PS on the far end of this chain, run a 12/2 wire the opposite direction and inject power and ground (V+ & V-) at each tree?

I attached a diagram but am not sure if this is the correct way to do it. I have searched around the site and have found multiple ways, but it seems that this thread is more on-pace to what I am trying to do.

Even on RobG's wiki here.

It does not show the driver and power injection (or at least I am not seeing it or it is named something different).

I have multiple areas of my yard that I will need to "add power" but want to make sure I get it right on one string before I go and buy the rest of the stuff.

Also, Would the 3-position tees and plugs work at each juncture to make teardown and storage easier (assuming my logic is correct?)

Thanks,
    Charlie-

PS - I added my image 2x and don't see it in the preview - so if it shows up twice I apologize (I tried .png and .jpeg), if it doesn't show up at all then I need to learn how to do that too!
    The e682 should have more than enough power to get your signal to the end. You could then inject power to your trees, tying in the ground from your power supply to your ground coming from the e682 (signal). I would not tie the positive from your injection point to your e682. I would also fuse the 12volts going to your trees either by adding an inline fuse or by using a power distribution board (which has fused outputs).
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    The e682 should have more than enough power to get your signal to the end. You could then inject power to your trees, tying in the ground from your power supply to your ground coming from the e682 (signal). I would not tie the positive from your injection point to your e682. I would also fuse the 12volts going to your trees either by adding an inline fuse or by using a power distribution board (which has fused outputs).
    Thanks Keith - Perhaps I am not explaining it properly then. With the 120'ish feet to get to the first tree, I cannot bring power that far from the controller - let alone to 6 trees so I need to inject - this I understand.

However, if the signal consists of V+, V- & Data, then there is already all three coming from the controller into the first tree.

How do I inject power into that tree without the V+ lines tying together? Is there some kind of diode to isolate them?

Also, per my diagram, what would need to change on it?

I appreciate the help!

Charlie-

Post Thanks / Like

Take V+, V- and Data and run it from the controller through the cable + Drivers all the way to your pixels. At the pixel connect V- and data to your pixel. At the pixel also connect the injected V+ and V-. You are now good to go. No diode is needed and only V- and data need to make that last hop.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

7. Thanks Keith R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Take V+, V- and Data and run it from the controller through the cable + Drivers all the way to your pixels. At the pixel connect V- and data to your pixel. At the pixel also connect the injected V+ and V-. You are now good to go. No diode is needed and only V- and data need to make that last hop.
    Thanks Martin. So basically between tree to tree I pass V- and data and just inject power and ground as needed from the injector supply - that makes sense. I can use the cat5 wire from the controller and big wire from the injected supply.

Thanks,
    Charlie-

Post Thanks / Like

thats it

Post Thanks / Like

...So I did some experimentation and believe I can get away with the following chain:
    E682 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 [Driver] +30' Cat5 ≈ 120' total...
    You should not need them every 30', especially when using CAT5. Try the full length of 120' with one driver at the beginning of the line first (or one in the middle, 30/90 or 60/60)

Post Thanks / Like

All - if you are waiting on receiving your order, go the spreadsheet link in the first post and add your email address to the sheet. RobG is quick to send the invoice once that is entered. Thanks Rob for this product.
    Randy McMasters
    Graham, NC

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast