Thread: Random Arduino question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Random Arduino question

Does the arduino do anything different when the serial monitor is attached versus not? I have a sketch that works fine when i am running it and monitoring debug on the monitor, but as soon as I power it from the same laptop but stop monitoring, I get weird glitches. This makes me think that when the monitor isn't used, nothing gets outputted and I have a timing error. Does that seem possible?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Random Arduino question

Off the top of my head, I though that the writing to the serial can hold up processing until it's read...but I not 100% sure of that. Can you post a code example or snippet?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Random Arduino question

Kinda late for a reply, but...

1) Make sure that the baudrate stuff in Vixen is the same as the Arduino sketch.
    2) IF you use the same UART for Vixen as you do for the Serial Monitor, (e.g. the UNO board) then make sure that the Serial Monitor is turned off when reading Vixen data. Only one device allowed per port. (Vixen and the Serial Monitor would constitute two devices.)
    3) Use the MEGA board if you want to run the Serial Monitor and Vixen at the same time by choosing a different UART for Vixen than the Serial Monitor. Your sketch will need to match which UART you use to read Vixen data.