Thread: Haze/Fog Machine For Moving Head Lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haze/Fog Machine For Moving Head Lights?

I purchased some motorized moving head spot lights with rotating gobo wheels for my show this year and the effects look so amazing when you are able to see the beam of light going through the air. I am wondering which type of haze/fog machine would be best to use for outside that will produce enough smoke to make the beams of light pop but also not be overwhelming and smother the area and take away from the show. Has anyone else done this? What did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Haze/Fog Machine For Moving Head Lights?

I was looking at options today as well. They all seem expensive to do ongoing.

;-) My fire pit fires are pretty smoky... maybe I should just light one each night.

Post Thanks / Like

Outdoor fogging it pretty difficult. Any breeze, or rain or snow will make it difficult if not impossible to keep the fog in the area you want it.

I have a hazer, which has smaller particles and once I used it to haze an entire outdoor green on a golf course. No breeze.. worked great. Hazed the entire area and then some. Same hazer on a Halloween outdoors at my old house.. slight breeze, couldn't keep the haze even close to the target area. Moved it next door so it would blow my way, the breeze shifted all night. Never mind trying for an entire month or even a few nights in the winter.. unless you hand pick the nights and the weather becomes your friend..

Forget it in the rain.. But in the rain, if you have protected your light sources... you can use the rain as the particulate matter in the air.. unless it's pouring..

Post Thanks / Like

Following. My plans next year are for 4 moving heads on my roof ridge, however this will complicate things. The one thing in my favor however, is I basically have a canyon created by 3 sides of my roof, so it may settle there. I would just use them in a finale at the end of a show. So roughly 15-20 seconds 16-20 times a night.

Post Thanks / Like

As already said wind is a killer for this effect. fine rain also saves the day but not always the performance. Practice so you know your venue/hazer setup. Usually end up using a hazer with a chiller to hold the low lying haze and cue in heat/warm air at the approriate moments send it into the focus. it can go wrong wouldn't be the first time it looked like a giant lump of cotton candy floated across beautifully back-lit -oops. i also had the backup of a hand hazer to haze directly into the beams if it was thin.

bdecosse

Post Thanks / Like

for the roof ...would a misting valve work? the water could run down into gutters and be recycled.