Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Vixen 2.1 to Current Software

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving from Vixen 2.1 to Current Software

I know there will be several different views on the best way for me to proceed, but I want to open this up for discussion. I have quite a few sequences that were done over the past 6 years using Vixen 2.1 for my Renard based show.

Two years ago I added a couple of Pixel props to my show, a Pixel Mega Tree and Pixel Candy Canes, which I brute forced into my existing sequences. They worked fine, but did not allow me to take full advantage of the potential of these props. This year I am adding even more Pixel based props.

I have looked at and played with HLS (not my cup of tea), V3, and XLights. I have been leaning towards XLights, but I am having a real issue with importing my existing sequences into the system. I do not want to lose the work I have put into my existing sequences, rather I just want to agument what I already have, and then do some new sequences from scratch.

What in your opinion is the best of the new software to use with older Vixen 2.1 sequences, and what is involved with importing the old sequence? Any help and guidance you may have will be greatly appreciated.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Moving from Vixen 2.1 to Current Software

Xlights is a great choice. Bring your existing sequences in as a data layer and you should be good to go. What problem are you having?
    David Pitts
    PixelController, LLC
    PixelController.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of opinions on this topic. I like Vixen 3 and I know the V2 import to V3 works (I rewrote it two years ago). Before you import, you create V3 Elements for your show. The first time you try to open a V2 sequence, you will be given the chance to create a map from the V2 channels to the V3 elements. Once the map is created, your sequence will get imported (It can take a while). After that, you reuse the same map to import the rest of your shows. You can use customized maps to tweak your imports. Once you have imported a sequence, it is going to look a bit busy on the sequence timeline pages. That is because everything is turned into "set Level" and "pulse" events. Your show will work, but maintaining it will be less than fun. For me, I used the imported show as is the first year and then changed a lot of the effects to use the V3 built in effects.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

4. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpitts View Post
    Xlights is a great choice. Bring your existing sequences in as a data layer and you should be good to go. What problem are you having?
    Dave,

Can you expand on "Bring your existing sequences in as a data layer", or direct me on where I can read more about doing this?
    2016 - No Display
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be curious what kind of issue you had importing the data into xLights. More importantly, I'd be happy to help fix any bugs you encounter while trying to do so. Just let me know what issues and if you can, send me your xlights setup and the vixen files and I'm sure I can get it to work.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

It is outlined on page 149 of the user manual.
    https://xlights.org/xLights_User_Manual.pdf

If you have Xlights questions there is a weekly online meeting on Wednesday nights where questions can be answered. This is done using Kevin Smith's Zoom meeting account. Thanks Kevin.
    You can share your computer screen and get specific help for your questions.

We have created a few links to make it easier to get there.

http://webmeeting.pixelcontroller.com

and

http://webmeeting.holiday.lighting
    David Pitts
    PixelController, LLC
    PixelController.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpitts View Post
    It is outlined on page 149 of the user manual.
    https://xlights.org/xLights_User_Manual.pdf

If you have Xlights questions there is a weekly online meeting on Wednesday nights where questions can be answered. This is done using Kevin Smith's Zoom meeting account. Thanks Kevin.
    You can share your computer screen and get specific help for your questions.

We have created a few links to make it easier to get there.

http://webmeeting.pixelcontroller.com

and

http://webmeeting.holiday.lighting
    Dan and David,

I made some progress. I need to play with this a bit, I got my sequence to play, kind of, but the correct lights were not lighting in my preview. Can you direct me to instructions on what I need to do to get the conversion mapped properly?

As I am understanding this process, I will no longer be able to edit the information that I am importing from the previous sequences, but I can add new effects over top of the old to incorporate my new props into the existing sequence. Is that correct?

I am planning on joining the online meeting next wednesday.
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

If using a data layer, then yea, the results won't be editable. How many channels are you importing? If it's only a couple hundred or so, a direct import should work fine and would result in completely editable effects. (just a bunch of "On" effects for Vixen import) . What issue were you having with the normal import process? I have to admit I haven't looked at the Vixen imports since Keith redid the Import dialog. If something isn't working, I'd like to get it fixed as that would help everyone in the same boat.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    If using a data layer, then yea, the results won't be editable. How many channels are you importing? If it's only a couple hundred or so, a direct import should work fine and would result in completely editable effects. (just a bunch of "On" effects for Vixen import) . What issue were you having with the normal import process? I have to admit I haven't looked at the Vixen imports since Keith redid the Import dialog. If something isn't working, I'd like to get it fixed as that would help everyone in the same boat.
    Dan,

I will have to work with it again to get you the specific issues I was having using import. I am going to be busy this weekend, but I should be able to get back you on this early next week.

To be clear, I do not really need to edit my existing effects, I really just want to add to what I have. The effects on my AC strings and Dumb RGB are fine, I just want to add in the Pixel elements as I continue to expand. What I do need is to get the effects on the correct AC and Dumb RGB strings in XLights.

Thanks for your help.
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I found that setting up my profile channel orders to match in v2.1 and xlights made the data layer import painless. I moved 1400 channels over into xlights, and added my pixel stuff on top of it. As to the data layer not being editable, you can actually add effects right on top of the imported layer if you need/want to edit.

Bruce
    Last edited by boyelroy11; 06-22-2017 at 02:49 PM.

12. Thanks TomL8345 thanked for this post
    Likes TazChaLet liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast