Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving from Vixen 2.1 to Current Software

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Moving from Vixen 2.1 to Current Software

All,

Thanks for the help! It was exactly what I needed to get my old sequences into XLights using Data Layers.

Dan,

I still want to revisit the Direct Import. That is what I was trying before and not getting results, but I may have been missing some steps there as well. I will look into it and get back to you!
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Dan,

I still want to revisit the Direct Import. That is what I was trying before and not getting results, but I may have been missing some steps there as well. I will look into it and get back to you!
    Dan,

When I import a Vixen 2.x sequence during New Sequence, my channels all seem to end up in the correct place (now that I have my XLights channels matching my Vixen profile), however the sequence seem to play approx 2X faster than the audio. Also I do not see the effects on the sequencer page for the vixen effects to edit, should I?
    2016 - No Display
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Dan,

When I import a Vixen 2.x sequence during New Sequence, my channels all seem to end up in the correct place (now that I have my XLights channels matching my Vixen profile), however the sequence seem to play approx 2X faster than the audio.
    Are you creating the sequence with 25ms timing? Vixen files are only 50ms.

Also I do not see the effects on the sequencer page for the vixen effects to edit, should I?
    No. If you use it from the New Sequence wizard thing, you are creating a data layer (which is also why the timing has to match). However, if you create a brand new sequence and do the Import from the Import -> Import Effects dialog/menu, it should come in as editable effects. Also, channel numbers and such don't need to match anything as you are mapping based on names.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    Are you creating the sequence with 25ms timing? Vixen files are only 50ms.
    That was exactly what was happening.

No. If you use it from the New Sequence wizard thing, you are creating a data layer (which is also why the timing has to match). However, if you create a brand new sequence and do the Import from the Import -> Import Effects dialog/menu, it should come in as editable effects. Also, channel numbers and such don't need to match anything as you are mapping based on names.
    When i Import -> Import Effects, I get a message box saying "No models to import to. Add some models to the rows of the effects grid." If I click "OK" then another window opens "Map Channels - sequence name.vix" I am not sure how to proceed from there. Each time I push a button on the bottom of that box I get a "Debug report "xLights""
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

You are trying to import effects into a sequence that doesn't have any models. That won't work as you need something to import them onto. (it shouldn't crash, that's a bug I'll need to look at)

Before you hit that, make sure you add the models you will use to the sequence. When you create the sequence, toward the end you can "Select a view" of "All models" and they should then be added to the sequence.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

You are trying to import effects into a sequence that doesn't have any models. That won't work as you need something to import them onto. (it shouldn't crash, that's a bug I'll need to look at)

Before you hit that, make sure you add the models you will use to the sequence. When you create the sequence, toward the end you can "Select a view" of "All models" and they should then be added to the sequence.
    Dan,

I am adding models. Step by step:
    New Sequence
    Musical Sequence
    Choose Audio file - vixen sequence audio file
    Sequence Settings - 20fps (50ms)
    Select a View - All Models ->Quick Start

the sequencer opens up with all my models listed down the left hand column

Import -> Import Effects
    Choose file to import - vixen sequence file
    Message - No models to import to. Add some models to the rows of the effects grid -> OK
    Map Channels - > Debug report.

Am I missing any steps?
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

I wan't able to reproduce this with various .vix files I found on the internet. I know Keith has updated the import dialog code to provide better error messages and prevent the crash, but even with the release code, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. You'll likely need to send me the .vix file and your xlights_*.xml files so I can reproduce it.
    Dan Kulp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12