Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread: Espixel by Bill Porter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Espixel by Bill Porter

The espixelpops are a 3rd party slimmed down version of the original espixelstick. The goals for it's existence is a less expensive unit that can be assembled by hand. They're not related except that the former is designed to use the same firmware as the original. It would have to be a completely new board. The SD Card feature requires the bigger ESP module than the original. So it's not a simple retrofit. It'd likely need a whole new board. Furthermore, I've never seen a SD Card slot that can be soldered by hand. So I'm not sure if that could be provided in kit form in keeping with the pixelpop concept. I think if you want those features, you should probably just buy the actual espixelstick v3 hardware.

Post Thanks / Like

As the Pixel Pops creator I have to say that Jon pretty much nailed this.
    With that said, there are some SD Cards with smd "pins" that stick out the back and should be solderable by most folks. Another thought I had was to buy SD Card adapters boards that would easily solder to a pixel pops board.
    I'd be happy to layout a new pixel pops with this feature. What I'm not sure of is if the schematic for the v3 board has been published. Anyone know?
    The pixel pops was created so that the DIY aspect of our hobby could continue and to provide an extremely inexpensive pixel controller.
    I'd love to keep that tradition going.
    Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    The espixelpops are a 3rd party slimmed down version of the original espixelstick. The goals for it's existence is a less expensive unit that can be assembled by hand. They're not related except that the former is designed to use the same firmware as the original. It would have to be a completely new board. The SD Card feature requires the bigger ESP module than the original. So it's not a simple retrofit. It'd likely need a whole new board. Furthermore, I've never seen a SD Card slot that can be soldered by hand. So I'm not sure if that could be provided in kit form in keeping with the pixelpop concept. I think if you want those features, you should probably just buy the actual espixelstick v3 hardware.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    As the Pixel Pops creator I have to say that Jon pretty much nailed this.
    With that said, there are some SD Cards with smd "pins" that stick out the back and should be solderable by most folks. Another thought I had was to buy SD Card adapters boards that would easily solder to a pixel pops board.
    I'd be happy to layout a new pixel pops with this feature. What I'm not sure of is if the schematic for the v3 board has been published. Anyone know?
    The pixel pops was created so that the DIY aspect of our hobby could continue and to provide an extremely inexpensive pixel controller.
    I'd love to keep that tradition going.
    The V4 software allows you to configure the SD card pins via the UI. It does NOT support the ESP-01 (not enough IO). You would need to be using a node mcu or other ESP12 device. It also support ESP 32. I currently test it using the LoLin D1 R2 and LoLin ESP32 Pro boards. The Proboard comes with a built in SD card.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556