Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Channel DMX Relay Pack

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8 Channel DMX Relay Pack

For Halloween this year I decided to build a new DMX relay pack centered around the Parallax SX-28. I had a two channel relay pack last year made with a PIC but didn't like the design. I chose the SX because it’s easy to use, fast, and only about $3. In addition it’s easy for a hobbyist to learn.

At the moment it’s a prototype built from several off the shelf items. My focus was to keep time and $$ to a minimum, since I only had 3 days to build it. The main processor board is a SX28 Proto Board (p/n 45302). The proto board has the voltage regulator and micro already in place. This saved me the time and expense of making a custom PCB. Beyond that I needed a 50 MHz resonator (p/n 250-05060), total cost for these items was about $13.

Beyond that I needed a 75176, ULN2803A, 75LS165, DIP switches, connectors, relays, 1N4001 diodes, a 12V power supply, Radio Shack PCBs, and cables. If it would help I can whip up a schematic in the coming days and post it.

The code I used was written by Jon over at EFX-TEK and I can direct you to the code location or post the mods I made to it (its written BASIC). Overall the code worked well, I may make some minor changes to it.

The only thing "special" you will need to build this is an SX programmer, either the SX-Blitz or SX-Key ($30, $50). I opted for the development kit a few since it comes with manuals, SX-key, and a development board.

NOTE: I may make changes to this project, I will make notes in "Revsion History" when this occurs.

Revsion history:
    11/30/2008 - Updated firmware so that the DMX start address is set via dipswitches, no longer hardcoded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DynamoBen; 11-30-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8 Channel DMX Relay Pack

Tres kewl, DB. I also like the enclosure.

In your obviously copious amounts of free time, a schematic would be great.

Thanks.

\dmc

Post Thanks / Like

The case I used can be purchased at any home supply store that has a decent electrical department. Commonly referred to as a "Hoffman Back Box" they run about $16 each and are made of steel.

Let me see if I can get a schematic worked out.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Schematic has been posted.

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

\dmc

Post Thanks / Like

If you could point me in the direction of the code that would be great! I do tech work for a high school theatre, and this is just the ticket for our production in 2 weeks. I know you're provided most of the parts needed, but if you could provide a Bill of Materials (shopping list), that would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Voltorb View Post
    If you could point me in the direction of the code that would be great! I do tech work for a high school theatre, and this is just the ticket for our production in 2 weeks. I know you're provided most of the parts needed, but if you could provide a Bill of Materials (shopping list), that would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!
    I have added the code to the first post in this thread. I'm having a little issue with the addressing portion, not sure if its code or wiring so for now I've removed the code. In the end that doesn't matter because you can hard program the start address in firmware, that’s what I did for my shows.

As far as a bill of materials. The schematic and my first post tell the whole story. Relays really depend on what you need to do, your budget, and where you like to shop. The ones I picked where inexpensive and rated 5A. Keep in mind that you don't have to 8 relays you could just wire up a couple for your show.
    Last edited by DynamoBen; 11-08-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
    I'm having a little issue with the addressing portion, not sure if its code or wiring so for now I've removed the code. In the end that doesn't matter because you can hard program the start address in firmware, that’s what I did for my shows.
    I have sorted out the addressing portion of the code, the dipswitches now work as designed. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

The Parallax SX chip is going EOL (end of life), if you are at all interested in building one of these you may want to do it sooner than later.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/de...x?f=7&m=372426

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering who you would recommend to get the 2 chips for this project ?

75176- i looked around and found SN75176A - which i think are the same
    but for this one 75LS165 i could only find 74LS165 ? is this right ?

thanks for any help

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast