Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever put 6 PSUs in Ammo Crate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone ever put 6 PSUs in Ammo Crate?

I'm building the same type of set up with 4 power supplies, could fit 6, but one thing I did different than Clyde is the stagger the power supplies like stair steps and then connect them to the flat bar w/the holes. That way I have easier access to the terminals. I did use the small height 350watt 12v meanwell power supplies so that made it easier.

For the power and falcon mounting I'm using a 1/4" pvc sheet. Right now I've got the Falcon V3, one differential board mounted and I've also added two fused power distribution boards to it. I'll hook two powers supplies up to the falcon. Then hook up the other two to the distribution boards. I haven't hooked power supplied together before but I understand how it works, share the ground and separate the positive, I'll of course read up on it in the wiki again before I start down that path.

Thanks for mentioning bud vents. I didn't know what those were called so I found those and ordered some. Of course this is after I already started rigging my own setup on one of the containers that I was using for another controller. I'll just continue on since the hole is already cut... I'm mounting the fan to that hole I cut out and using a vent cover I made out of coroplast on the outside. Figured with the right bonding agent (using that JB weld for plastics) and some sealant around the edges it'll work just fine. It won't look pretty but it won't be really visible to who cares...

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Attachment 36704

Here is my proposed setup. I plan to mount the six PSUs roughly as shown in the photo with one F16 and two expansion boards ...
    How many total pixels are you planning to power with this?

In the picture, at least one of those power supplies is a 5v 60a unit. You didn't say if they are all the same, but assuming they are all 60a supplies, then 6 is probably overkill (unless you are also doing power injection with additional power distribution boards).

I'm just guessing, but I suspect your intention is to connect each one of those 6 supplies to each of 2 pixel power inputs on the 3 Falcon boards (6 total pixel power inputs). Those pixel power inputs are rated at 32a max. If you were using 12v pixels, then 6x30a power supplies would be logical. But with 5v pixels, 3x60a power supplies would be more sensible.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason,
    Please make sure to put a picture of your setup after you have it built. I'm very curious as to what you have planned that would need that much power in a single location.

With that said - New ideas and methods are always welcome here.
    ALG
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

4. Likes FIRECOP252 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. For Jason--I assume you will paint your enclosure so you can't see it at night--it REALLY won't matter then that you used JB weld!!
    I am planning to route all pixel power PSUs thru the F16 and its expansion boards. I may need to power inject some of the pixel icicles; trying to avoid that.... Everything but the arches are 12V bullet or square pixels.
    Rough numbers (assuming pixels are about 0.75W/pixel (or 7.6W/m for strips) at 100% intensity, but with everything running at 50% intensity):
    Twelve 2m arches with 5V pixel strips ~91W
    Six medium Boscoyo minitrees with stars ~157W
    One 10' pixel tree with 36" Boscoyo five point star ~420W
    One 7.5' pixel tree with 23" Boscoyo Bethlehem star ~240W
    Ten strands of pixicles ~236W
    Fourteen North Poles ~157.5W
    Last edited by DanJ; 06-19-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post pics of mine, just waiting on a couple more parts to come in.

I know it's a lot of power. Two of the power supplies are for my mega tree. The other two power supplies are for a coro 3d snowman I'm building, and then Boscoyo... presents (5), large 180 tree (2), medium 180 tree (2) and mini 180 trees (or the chroma ones can't decide) (10). The tree and those props will be pretty close so I don't have to worry about voltage drop too much. The box will be in a central place so it's great for what I'll be putting out and for the future near it. I have differential boards for things that are farther away of course.

So right now I should have one PS I don't have to use in this box. Figured put it in now so it's easier later. This is a bit of a rebuild / redesign to simplify things for me. I was very excited when Clyde posted his solution as I was wondering what would be a good way to protect it all. Previously I used one box for my controller and another for my power supplies. It wasn't as easy to work with as I wanted.

-
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a distributed control guy. Put a controller within easy reach of the device(s) using it. It is interesting to me to see hundreds of cables coming out of one spot and running all over the place. Takes me back to the 110v days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    I'm a distributed control guy. Put a controller within easy reach of the device(s) using it. It is interesting to me to see hundreds of cables coming out of one spot and running all over the place. Takes me back to the 110v days.
    +1 That is also why I like using FPP in master slave setup. 5 slaves last year, I'm thinking 8 this year, maybe more when / if I get my P10 and P5 stuff in my sequences.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Trying "really really" centralized this year. Will see how it goes.... But still planning to run two controllers on either side of driveway....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Trying "really really" centralized this year. Will see how it goes.... But still planning to run two controllers on either side of driveway....
    That is what I like about this hobby. Everyone has "their way", yet no one is wrong (unless they burn something down.)

What distances between controller and props are you working with?

Post Thanks / Like

My distances are pretty short. Longest is about 30' to furthest arch & north pole.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast