Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever put 6 PSUs in Ammo Crate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever put 6 PSUs in Ammo Crate?

I have watched an EXCELLENT video done by Clyde Lindsey where he showed in detail how he put four PSUs and an F16V3/exp bds into an Ammo Crate ACR8-72. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to put six PSUs into one of these and if so what were your learnings? I searched the forum and did not get any hits. I would like to put six PSUs into the Ammo Crate along with an F16V3 and two expansion boards--I need to setup two PSUs per board so I need six PSUs. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this either successfully or unsuccessfully--especially potentially an overheat concern???
    THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone ever put 6 PSUs in Ammo Crate?

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    I have watched an EXCELLENT video done by Clyde Lindsey where he showed in detail how he put four PSUs and an F16V3/exp bds into an Ammo Crate ACR8-72. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to put six PSUs into one of these and if so what were your learnings? I searched the forum and did not get any hits. I would like to put six PSUs into the Ammo Crate along with an F16V3 and two expansion boards--I need to setup two PSUs per board so I need six PSUs. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this either successfully or unsuccessfully--especially potentially an overheat concern???
    THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    I'm thinking that you may run in to a problem powering 6 PSU's on one outlet (let alone the heat they would generate under load). You may want to look at some of the more powerful PSU's, like Server PSU's that put out way more Amperage.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea. I'll have to think about that! I have a bunch of the little cheap no-name PSUs and would like to put them to good use!! THANKS.

Post Thanks / Like

Put in a waterproof case fan to exhaust the heat. My plan is 6 PSU's in a plano marine box, with an exhaust fan on one end, and air intake on the other. However, I'm in MI, so much cooler weather to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

....didn't realize the enclosure fans were rated as waterproof.... I had figured I would probably need to set up fan(s) on the enclosures. thanks for the response!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an option recently submitted: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...one-Dirt-Cheap
    I am going to use it on my megatree.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim--are these the fluorescent light covers you have used? Thx.

Fluorescent Cover.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a solid panel. Get the one called eggcrate.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...S-R5/100579509
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Got it. Thanks Jim. I thought the solid one was a bit unusual "fit" for this application!!!!
    I really appreciate the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Proposed Enclosure Layout.jpg

Here is my proposed setup. I plan to mount the six PSUs roughly as shown in the photo with one F16 and two expansion boards onto the fluorescent lighting "egg crate" stuff and attach it to the top of the PSUs; similar to how Clyde Lindsey showed in his vids. I am planning to put two BUD vents on the left & right sides of the back of enclosure roughly where I am holding the one in the photo. I am thinking about putting two fans in the enclosure (actually my wife's idea). So, I plan to have one BUD vent right in the middle of the front of the enclosure and two in the back of the enclosure. I know the enclosure is going to be super busy but I <think> I can manage all the cables. Will be interesting to see how THAT works out!! I do plan to have the electrical terminal blocks on either two or four of the PSUs toward the back of the enclosure so I can route my pixel power wiring in the back and front of the enclosure. I plan to route all the F16 pixel wiring out the front of the enclosure and the expansion boards' pixel wiring out the right and left sides of the enclosure--eight left side leads going out the left side and eight right side leads (per expansion board) going out the right side. I will have to figure out how to run a second fan, as the F16 has a connection for one thermostatically controlled fan. I figure I can just wire one of the fans so it is running all the time. Your inputs would be very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast