Thread: USB Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer

Post Thanks / Like

Default USB Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer

I'm looking for recommendations on a USB Oscilloscope/Logic Analyze. I'm not looking for anything fancy an I would like to keep the price tag down.

I found one called the 'BitScope' that looks pretty good and was wondering if anyone here has used anything similar.

http://www.bitscope.com/product/BS05/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: USB Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer

Would emphatically recommend against bitscope.

Here was my last response to them:

a) It restricts me at setting logic capture to a max of 10 MSps. The spec on it says it can do 40 Msps.
    b) If I set it to 10Msps, I can capture a max of 602 microseconds. Not milliseconds, microseconds...
    c) If I instead change it to 1 second capture, it drops my maximum capture rate to 6 Ksps.

I'm thinking it can't possibly be this bad - with a Salaea you can easily capture > 1 million times that.

They replied and said:

The BitScope Micro has a 6k sample buffer for a single frame, and that's what controls the rate/duration settings.

If you want to sample and display in real time, you're bound by the size of the buffer. You do have the option of streaming the data to disk for analysis after the capture is done.. basically the same trick a Saleae logic analyzer uses. It looks like the streaming rate is capped at 200ksps though.

So no. It's a toy. It's less than a toy. It's a toy that you use to test toys.

So for Logic Analyzer your best bet by far is Saleae. Check ebay.

For combo, I use a Quantasylum QA100. It's decent. There's now a QA101 with better specs, but I can't quite justify the upgrade yet.
    Last edited by deonb; 05-18-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

3. Thanks bshep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are mainly working with digital signals as found in this hobby, I would strongly recommend a Saleae logic probe - not a scope.

I own 4 scopes and have not used any of them in the last several years working on pixel controllers. I use my
    Saleae 16 port logic probe all the time.

I don't recommend the
    Saleae 4 port (about $100 - but not the performance you want) nor do I recommend the Saleae 16 port -- the most I have ever captured was 5 channels.

Saleae has an 8 port model for around $200 and that is the one I would recommend.

Watch any ebay pricing for
    Saleae products that are 30 to 50% of the prices above and if they come from China.

China has made clones of
    Saleae products and offer them at very reduced prices but they expect you to go to the Saleae website and use their software. I believe Saleae has taken steps to detect a clone and not let the software operate.

I suggest you get a REAL
    Saleae device. The people at Saleae are very helpful and will provide live phone support for their product.

Saleae software will allow you to capture signals at hi-speed sample rates and continue capturing for long time periods (well in to seconds). Their software comes with analyzers that can be run on port captured data and display the results for many standard protocols - like I2C, SPI, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Last edited by JHinkle; 05-18-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Link to my DownLoad Site: [B][COLOR=#ff0000][URL]http://www.joehinkle.com/HLS[/URL]

[/COLOR][/B][IMG]http://joehinkle.com/HLS/HLS%20Logo%20Small.jpg[/IMG]

5. Thanks bshep thanked for this post
    Likes beeiilll liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say to NOT buy a bitscope either! I have one and it is akin to being able to use a rock as a hammer! It may "work" but certainly not worth the aggravation!

I want to get a Saleae as Joe recommends as they are highly rated by many and I have a friend who has one at work and loves it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default USB Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer

Thanks for the feedback! definitely not buying a bitscope now!

I'm thinking the Saleae Logic 8 will be sufficient, would love to get a 8 Pro but thats way out of budget for now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I second..or third...the Saleae products. Sure it can't match a good Tek or Keysight scope, but I use it all the time for looking at edges on digital signals. Customer support is second to none (I blew out one of my inputs...they replaced it), and even have a SDK if you want to interface it using some other method. I own the original 8 bit unit and also the 8bit Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - bought the Saleae clone to see if I got on with it and love it. If it ever gets blocked I'd by the genuine one. On a side note you can only run upto 12MHz unless you have a USB 3 port.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 05-19-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi - bought the Saleae clone to see if I got on with it and love it. If it ever gets blocked I'd by the genuine one. On a side note you can only run upto 12MHz unless you have a USB 3 port.
    Is it the one by "DsLogic"? I've seen a new 16 channel analyzer on AliExpress but the photos show software with their own brand name.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, this is the site I bought from and their current listing of the same description. There is no logo on the current listing.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logic-Anal...item1a00569bca

Mine does have a logo like this but this is not the seller I used.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24MHz-8-Ch...item2cbdcdfcd7

TBH I went for this because I thought one would be useful (it turned out to be invaluable), I wasn’t sure if I was clever enough to use one (it turned out to be really easy) and if at the end of the day it sat on the shelf it was only $10. I would estimate the captures are good 99% of the time, sometimes it just looks visibly wrong and a second capture confirms this but hey what do you expect for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Sparkfun has a nice one also, the Digilent Analog Discovery 2. Diligent is part of National Instruments Company, which is a big test equipment company. Price is $279.95 and it can do all of this:

Two-channel oscilloscope (1MΩ, 25V, differential, 14-bit, 100MS/s, 30MHz+ bandwidth - with the Analog Discovery BNC Adapter Board)
    Two-channel arbitrary function generator (5V, 14-bit, 100MS/s, 12MHz+ bandwidth - with the Analog Discovery BNC Adapter Board)
    Stereo audio amplifier to drive external headphones or speakers with replicated AWG signals
    16-channel digital logic analyzer (3.3V CMOS, 100MS/s)1) 2)
    16-channel pattern generator (3.3V CMOS, 100MS/s)3) 4)
    16-channel virtual digital I/O including buttons, switches, and LEDs – perfect for logic training applications 5) 6)
    Two input/output digital trigger signals for linking multiple instruments (3.3V CMOS)7)
    Two programmable power supplies (0…+5V , 0…-5V). The maximum available output current and power depend on the Analog Discovery 2 powering choice:
    250mW max for each supply or 500mW total when powered through USB
    2.1W max for each supply when powered by an auxiliary supply
    700mA maximum current for each supply
    Single channel voltmeter (AC, DC, 25V)
    Network analyzer – Bode, Nyquist, Nichols transfer diagrams of a circuit. Range: 1Hz to 10MHz
    Spectrum Analyzer – power spectrum and spectral measurements (noise floor, SFDR, SNR, THD, etc.)
    Digital Bus Analyzers (SPI, IC, UART, Parallel)