Thread: RGB pixel control from live MIDI keyboard input - how to approach

Post Thanks / Like

Default RGB pixel control from live MIDI keyboard input - how to approach

Brainstorming ideas here, so I thought I would throw this out to the community.

GOAL: LED RGB Pixels (ws2811 series etc) light up according to notes played on a midi keyboard. We are talking a live show.
    SO FAR: USB MIDI keyboard is interfaced to Raspberry pi. Can read the MIDI data from the keyboard just fine.
    My son (21 year old Computer Science student) is building this for his 16 year old sister as a surprise. He saw something similar at the Bay Area Maker Fair a couple of years ago.

Next Step: How to interface the pi to the Pixels.

What would your recommendation be?

My initial thought is you can use one of the controllers that are used by us on our christmas light shows synced to music.
    I think most of those work off of E1.31 protocol? Would have to write custom code to generate the DMX over Ethernet protocol?
    Perhaps there are some code libraries already available to get started?
    Is that the best way to head?

Welcoming all thoughts and ideas on this one.

Regards,

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGB pixel control from live MIDI keyboard input - how to approach

Kevin,
    Do a search on this very subject on all three major sites (diychristmas.org, doityourselfchristmas.com, falconchristmas.com). This subject has been worked out in the last couple of years. Great idea, and there is no reason to not use the information they collected to help you along.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, you don't say what the desired effect of the notes is. Does the colour change with pitch? Does the brightness change with volume?

Post Thanks / Like

Just went looking for that other thread, and nothing. Anyone else know where it is?
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Pi hat drives pixels directly. The Midi in talks to the hat with translation table or algorithm.

How many leds and in what combos?

There are similar things out there. Quick search shows this arduino project.
    https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/35611-MIDI-to-LED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Pi hat drives pixels directly. The Midi in talks to the hat with translation table or algorithm.

How many leds and in what combos?

There are similar things out there. Quick search shows this arduino project.
    https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/35611-MIDI-to-LED
    So what do you need to do to talk with the Hat? What protocol is it expecting? That seems like a great option.

As for the number of Leds, I am not 100% sure. The demo he saw of one at the maker fair was a row of pixel strips for each key. The midi keyboard sat attached to the cut out in the shape of a baby grand piano. I think that is what he is going for, but he plans not only to light up a string for that note, but maybe do some effects for cords etc. He is a sharp programming, I am trying to help with the hardware.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, you don't say what the desired effect of the notes is. Does the colour change with pitch? Does the brightness change with volume?
    I am not 100% sure. The demo he saw was a midi keyboard attached to a cutout in baby grand piano style. Each note lit up a string of RGB lights in this case. He is planning the baby grand foot print, but I do not have a LED count. Guessing it could be over 1000.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kreeve View Post
    So what do you need to do to talk with the Hat? What protocol is it expecting?
    Kevin
    Fpp already has that part of the code written using a .fseq as input or e1.31 in bridge mode. If you start with that as a base, you could write another input interface from the Midi to fpp routines. It is open source so you could probably fight your way through it and find the hooks you need.