Thread: FPP and ESPixelStick - Need help with static lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP and ESPixelStick - Need help with static lights

So I just put together my first pixelstick that I preordered. I have it communicating with FPP and the test patterns work fine with 4' of left over pixel strips. I'm new to FPP and the pixelstick so please forgive me. I've searched all evening on how to accomplish what I'm wanting to do but not sure what direction to go.

What I'm doing with this first setup is using them as fish tank lights. I want them to turn on and off at set times (on during the evening) to a preset color. But I also want to be able to easily change that color. The Big Buttons plugin might work but I can't seem to find a way to program this. I'm open to opinions on what I should do.

Another option would be to integrate this into my smartthings house automation as an RGB light. I'm thinking this has to be possible somehow and would be just perfect.

I have 5 of these kits that I preordered and trying to find uses for them. This is probably the last year for our light show. We're building a new house next year that's going to set pretty far back off a country road and won't be doing the music/light show there. We'll still probably do pixels on a smaller scale, but it's just for us and the kids. If I could use these for landscaping lights, that would be cool too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP and ESPixelStick - Need help with static lights

Another option would be to integrate this into my smartthings house automation as an RGB light. I'm thinking this has to be possible somehow and would be just perfect.
    Hi, shouldn't be a problem. You need to send a UDP packet of 680 bytes, if your home system can do that it should work.

This post shows one way to SEND the UDP packet from an ESP, I'm not proposing you do it this way, just that it contains all the information you need. If it doesn’t make any sense to you please shout up and I’ll pick the parts you need out of it and post in a way you can understand.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ing-on-your-PC

What home automation are you using? I've just started with Node-Red but haven't sent any packets myself yet - it's on the todo list.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes a little sense. I'm using Smartthings for my home automation. I did some reading on those forums and it doesn't look like it works well with upd.

Also did some more reading on here last night and looks like running Home Assistant on a raspi would also work. And, there's a bridge available to link to smartthings. I might try playing with that soon. Home assistant looks pretty neat for other stuff too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So the key words you need to find in your home automation is "remote E1.31 DMX RGB Device". That is what the ESP is to the home automation. If your home automation can send E1.31 then you are golden. If it cant, then you will need to add code to the ESP to handle the protocol in use by the Home Automation.

If you want to go with the FPP, create a bunch of sequences that have the lighting effects you are looking for. Then you create a "Show Schedule" for the sequences you want to come on at night or be on at various times of the day. I have done this for a set of lights on top of my TV hutch in the living room. You also mentioned that you wanted to have "Mood" effects. There are packages that allow you to trigger a "Show" using a button (I have not tried this myself) or you could use the FPP web interface to "Run a show" that has the effects you are looking for at that moment (This is what I use when company is over).

Good luck and have fun.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like there are several smartthings protects for the esp8266 so That route seems to be your best option.

https://github.com/hobbzey/Simplest-...266-RGB-Strips

That just controls an rgb element
    Last edited by crees; 05-06-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am running Home Assistant at home and have things like FPP status along with playlist, sequence, and media file names show in the Home Assistant UI. I will probably integrate a bit more before I get to November so HA can alert me if something happens like a FPP Remote not playing.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed home assistant on my pi today. Now just to figure out how to use it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    I am running Home Assistant at home and have things like FPP status along with playlist, sequence, and media file names show in the Home Assistant UI. I will probably integrate a bit more before I get to November so HA can alert me if something happens like a FPP Remote not playing.
    I started playing with Home Assistant just the other day and am adding MQTT support to my ESPixelStick code for off season usage. You have a HA config for how your doing FPP, or are you adding some specific support to FPP for this? Looking forward to playing with it!