Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New inline curve editor and new life for old effects.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New inline curve editor and new life for old effects.

We've been working on a new curve editor where you can edit curves directly in the effect editor pane without needing to go into the curve editor form.
    CurveEditor.PNG
    It's basically a miniature version of the regular curve editor. In most cases, all you really need is basic curve editing with rough adjustments and don't need the detail and extra features found in the full size editor.
    Just like in the regular curve editor, you can add vertex nodes to the curve by control-click, and delete points by alt-click. You can click drag any node to adjust it's position. A new features is that you can shift-click-drag and it will flatten the curve to a simple 2-point horizontal line that can be dragged up and down. This gives you the ability to make a level that doesn't change over time. The ability to drag and drop curves between properties and the library is still there.

This new curve editor control replaces the old control for all effects where there was already a curve based property.

This new curve editor has been on the wish liszt for a long time, but it became a necessity as we decided that we were going to convert a number of level properties on existing effects to be curve based. While the addition of curve support is a definite enhancement over the standard level slider for these properties, it would have negatively impacted ease of use if we simply replaced the slider with the old curve control. This new control, specifically with the shift-drag style operation, will give a close approximation of what can be done with the old level slider.

The first effect to get this new curve treatment is the pinwheel effect. This will allow you to set these parameter to change over time. For example, you can have a speed that gets faster or slower, or the center position of the pinwheel can move around from point A to point B. There's lots of powerful things that can be done with creative use of these new curve based controls. This breathes new life into existing effects and you'll be able to do a lot more with them.

Pinwheel.PNG

More curve based effects will be coming soon. If you've got specific ideas for priorities, let us know.

2. Likes pixelpuppy, kreeve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New inline curve editor and new life for old effects.

Niiiiice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

If you like that, you will also like the companion inline gradient editor.

FullColorView.PNG

5. Likes pixelpuppy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure about everyone else but I find the curve based controls extremely cumbersome to work with. What took about 2 minutes to tweak with sliders before now takes 20 minutes of fiddling with curve graphs and I don't know if I get much more from it after its all said and done. While there is probably relevance to the graphs and the ability to get a little different style from the effect I just don't see it.
    Example is meteors. I worked with the explosion effect and I just could not come up with anything after 20 minutes of curves that was any better than what I got with the old sliders. In fact I reloaded an older version with sliders and I did the same thing in 60 seconds. I don't think its a matter of learning curve. Just not efficient.
    Seems more logical to come up with a few more effects rather than tweaking the old ones to death. Lightning, Wave, Manual EQ, or something...

Just some thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about everyone else but I find working with all these curves cumbersome. What took 60 seconds before now takes 20 minutes of fiddling with graphs and I don't see much more after its all said and done.
    It looks great. And sometimes they come in handy but there are too many of them. The sliders to me are much more efficient. On top of that there are glitches in the graphs. They don't hold the position when you click on them. They move.

I think you would be much better adding a few more effects rather than working the old ones to death. Perhaps something like Lightning, waves, or manual EQ or something....

Just my .02

Post Thanks / Like

The graphs do look great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bpos View Post
    Not sure about everyone else but I find working with all these curves cumbersome. What took 60 seconds before now takes 20 minutes of fiddling with graphs and I don't see much more after its all said and done.
    It looks great. And sometimes they come in handy but there are too many of them. The sliders to me are much more efficient. On top of that there are glitches in the graphs. They don't hold the position when you click on them. They move.

I think you would be much better adding a few more effects rather than working the old ones to death. Perhaps something like Lightning, waves, or manual EQ or something....

Just my .02

The extra control is more useful on some effects than others. Several folks have asked for the extra control, to enhance their creativity, and help keep the old effects fresh and help you create a more distinctive show that stands out from the rest.

Where you using the SHIFT drag option on the curve that in essence makes it work like a level slider? This lets you convert and adjust the curve as a flat level that mimics how the old sliders worked. This should be almost as fast as the old level slider unless you need very precise values that may require using the full curve editor. The full curve editor also supports the SHIFT drag level slider as well with more accuracy.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

What Jeff said. If you shift drag then that's exactly the same result as a slider, so there would be no increase in time whatsoever. So the majority of time there is no need to go into the graph editor and fiddle with it.
    Last edited by Gnarmstr; 06-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The graphs are very useful. I like them and use them. I have a sequence done from an older version for example. But lets say you try and convert a sequence from an older version to a newer version and you want them to match? The effort it takes to recreate the older version effects is time consuming for some reason. I can see why those effects why are not backwards compatible.
    I have moved whole graphs and tried quick curves but nothing seems to be as good as what I had previously. Basically I guess I am saying that it is near impossible to recreate what I had from previous versions.
    There might be some really neat custom effects made from all the graphs but I cant find any real advantage for all of them?
    I am on dev build 419 and those graphs are not stable for me. When I change a graph setting the setting jumps after its saved. If I set it at 1 and if I go back in to check it it will be set to 50 or so. Not sure whats going on but that contributes to my grief with all these graphs.

Sorry if I sound like a complainer but I am struggling with this where as before it was quick and simple..

Probably just me..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bpos View Post
    The graphs are very useful. I like them and use them. I have a sequence done from an older version for example. But lets say you try and convert a sequence from an older version to a newer version and you want them to match? The effort it takes to recreate the older version effects is time consuming for some reason. I can see why those effects why are not backwards compatible.
    I have moved whole graphs and tried quick curves but nothing seems to be as good as what I had previously. Basically I guess I am saying that it is near impossible to recreate what I had from previous versions.
    There might be some really neat custom effects made from all the graphs but I cant find any real advantage for all of them?
    I am on dev build 419 and those graphs are not stable for me. When I change a graph setting the setting jumps after its saved. If I set it at 1 and if I go back in to check it it will be set to 50 or so. Not sure whats going on but that contributes to my grief with all these graphs.

Sorry if I sound like a complainer but I am struggling with this where as before it was quick and simple..

Probably just me..
    I don't think you sound like a complainer. I am open to listen to all view points and if there is a way to improve it, I am all ears. When you open a sequence created with the older version of the effect, it should match before you do any editing. The effects translate the older level to the equivalent curve. If you are not seeing that on some effect, then maybe there is a bug in that translation.

The next question is are you trying to add a new effect and wanting to recreate what you did in another. You can drag drop the curve from one into another to get the same thing, or copy paste that effect to the new position. I am also working on possible way to have the level slider from before drive the curve if you just want a simple even level all across. This will do the same thing as the SHIFT drag, but with better control. But that is just in the early stage to see if it would be viable.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast