Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MonoPixel Animated Candy Canes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MonoPixel Animated Candy Canes

Well, at 66" you'll need to either use more lights or cut them down.... The concept will still work.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Using your dimensions I would assume for my 66 inches this is how it should look. 66 divided by 2.75 inches equals 24:

driver-carrier-carrier-driver-carrier-carrier-driver-carrier-carrier-driver-carrier-carrier-driver-carrier-carrier-driver-carrier-carrier-driver-carrier-carrier-driver-carrier-carrier

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, a driver at the bottom, and the distance between the LEDs can be whatever you want it to be. You certainly don't have to stick to 2-3/4". My original test was only 9 leds in the cane and when I fired it up, they looked a bit too far apart. So I tightened it up a little and added one more set of 3 and then it "looked" about right. That turned out to be 2-3/4" for the length of my canes. I chose to end with a set of 3 so as not to waste a channel.

The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by end with a set of 3? You must mean I need to end with a driver so I can daisy chain them. I have all the parts ordered. The LED's and carriers came in yesterday. If I decided to go ahead and do this there's going to be a ton of soldering. BTW. Is the long lead on the pixel the positive side? Judging from the drawings it appears that way. I was able to get frosted (diffused) pixels.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ending with a set of 3, you run a separate wire from the data line of the last LED back down to the bottom and that connects to your data line to the driver at the base of the next cane in line. That's your "daisy chain" connection. If you put a ws2811 as your last board at the top of the cane, that will work, but you'll lose 3 channels in the process and you still have to bring a wire down to the base.

Here's the wiki for it:
    http://www.diychristmas.org/wiki/ind...ng_Mono-Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all your help. Christmas is coming g up fast. I had planned to start sequence in June but now this project. Where's a good place to purchase 5 wire?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    I got the wire and it's a pain. It's stranded and when I strip it if I'm not careful the strands get separated. Can I use solid core, maybe 18-20 gauge thermostat wire? Solid core would be a heck of a lot easier to work with. I did notice in the wiki pics that solid was used.
    wire.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, you CAN use solid core. BUT, solid core wire will break internally if its in an environment where the wire will be flexed. It doesn't take much to break a solid wire as compare to stranded wire.
    Plus, it if does break, you have no idea where it broke, exactly, as you can't see the break.
    So.... the answer is.. it depends.

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    I got the wire and it's a pain. It's stranded and when I strip it if I'm not careful the strands get separated. Can I use solid core, maybe 18-20 gauge thermostat wire? Solid core would be a heck of a lot easier to work with. I did notice in the wiki pics that solid was used.
    wire.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I intend on using it for this candy cane project so flexing will be minimal.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast