Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using Arduino to read DMX for Maestro Servo Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using Arduino to read DMX for Maestro Servo Control

OK Barnabybear, that was so clear even I understood it.

Actually, I've been trying to put down on paper how some of the interfaces work and could not get the right words/methods to explain it. Your method of teaching will be used. (I didn't see the earlier version, but this one hit the mark.)

Thanks
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    OK Barnabybear, that was so clear even I understood it.

Actually, I've been trying to put down on paper how some of the interfaces work and could not get the right words/methods to explain it. Your method of teaching will be used. (I didn't see the earlier version, but this one hit the mark.)

Thanks
    I second this. BarnabyBear, I don't know if you teach classes about protocol and the like, but you definitely could!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Success!!! I finally got a chance to test everything, and the servo moves just as you said it would. Thank you so very much for this, BarnabyBear! You're the best! Now that this is all working, I was just wondering, is at all possible to change the speed of the servo?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, it should be. Can you do a quick test for me please.
    Add another channel to servo 0, it needs to go after the three you have currently. Set it to zero across the full sequence and see if the servo still works correctly. This shouldn't have any effect I just need to know if it messes things up, if it doesn't we will be able to do this the way I'm thinking. Also what speed do you think you'll need based on your old settings?

As a side note you should be able to get some speed control by using a ramp in Vixen to get from your old position to your new position. This is not ideal as it will just move very quickly but in small steps.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 04-23-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I was just able to run the experiment, and did not notice any difference in servo response. So far as I can tell, adding a fourth channel with a zero value makes no difference in performance. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I can’t do the full walk through / explanation tonight, but now you have four channels you can set the ‘speed’ and ‘acceleration’ as well as the ‘position’ and I’m guessing you want to play some more.

I’ll type this up in detail tomorrow but for now:

To set a ‘speed’ for the servo to use across the whole sequence, set the following values in the very first frame of the sequence:

First channel for the servo = 135 (not the 255 we had been using) – you need to set this back to 255 in the next frame and continue as we had been doing.

Second channel for the servo remains the same – it is still the servo number.

Third channel for the servo for now set this to 0 (more later) and then you need to set this back to the 'servo position' you require in the next frame and continue as we had been doing.

The new fourth channel – this can be any value between 1 and 127 and will set the ‘speed’ at which the servo moves and for safety it needs to be set to zero after the first frame.

So just to clarify – we are going to use the first frame of the sequence to set the ‘speed’ of the servos then return to the same control we previously used.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 04-24-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey BarnabyBear, thank you again for the information. I played around with this for a bit in Vixen 3, but couldn't quite figure out what you meant by frame. How do you define an individual frame? Vixen 2's timeline is more incremental, so I'm a bit confused on the concept translates. I'm definitely excited about this, though, and it's cool to see the progress made so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, that shows how long it is since I used Vixen in anger. I'll have a play tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, that shows how long it is since I used Vixen in anger. I'll have a play tonight and get back to you tomorrow.
    Hahaha! I appreciate your determination.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123