Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Conversion - Stumped

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED Conversion - Stumped

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    There is a guy here that did it and posted a how to. I think it was 18 red LEDs using a ws chip to control them. So you could dim and on and off each led. But not pixels as it was only one color led. Blickenfer or similar I believe.
    You may be referring to the board I designed a while ago? In the end I went a different way, but here's the pages for those interested:
    http://www.da-share.com/christmas/pc710/
    http://www.da-share.com/christmas/71cm-candy-canes/
    20 character sig !!!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry must have had wrong page and copied in my clipboard these were the others I found

https://www.build.com/wintergreen-li...50583/s1049402

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    James,

The string you linked are incans not LED's.

Protege94,

if you are interested in converting to LED Strings and would like to shorten them, I have some of the String Shortners/Full Wave Converters I could spare. You can find out more about them in this THREAD. PM me if you are interested.
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

You could just go to Walmart and buy the single canes for 3.00 each or how ever much they are. I have 12 (10 and 2 spares) and they have worked without failure since 2009. I am replacing them with RBL's this year.
    I think you can buy 20 count LED's, saw them somewhere this past year and thought that might be useful for a small project.
    Last edited by Keith R; 04-17-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    sorry must have had wrong page and copied in my clipboard these were the others I found

https://www.build.com/wintergreen-li...50583/s1049402
    Im not sure if I am this committed since I would need 40 of these at almost $6 a piece.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping for 10,000+ Lights

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recall where you found these 20 ct. LED strings? I've found that not all of the 50 ct. Strings that you buy at the big box stores are splittable on the 25 ct. mark due to the way they are designed (which I don't understand yet and am still trying to figure out)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    You could just go to Walmart and buy the single canes for 3.00 each or how ever much they are. I have 12 (10 and 2 spares) and they have worked without failure since 2009. I am replacing them with RBL's this year.
    I think you can buy 20 count LED's, saw them somewhere this past year and thought that might be useful for a small project.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're truly a glutton for punishment, you could try this:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...858#post462858

Yes, it uses pixel technology except it's only one color and it gives you the effect you want. I have the same transparent red plastic candy canes... Making one of these takes a couple hours but in the end it's worth it.
    diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    Do you recall where you found these 20 ct. LED strings? I've found that not all of the 50 ct. Strings that you buy at the big box stores are splittable on the 25 ct. mark due to the way they are designed (which I don't understand yet and am still trying to figure out)
    Do you have experience splitting big box strings into 25 ct strings? Is there something about the string that would indicate this is possible?

I already have a bunch of white 50 ct LED stings from Walmart that I would easily cut if they would work with minimal alterations.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping for 10,000+ Lights

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Post Thanks / Like

Shortening an LED string requires an external circuit that will limit the current at an acceptable level. Look in this forum for LED String shortener

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest way to think of this, that I found:

Regular Christmas Lights, such as bought at Walmart, Lowes, etc., are actually two or three large units with x-number of parts. Cut between these units and you should be just fine. Cut into these units and you have to have "something" to take the place of the ones you cut out.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12