Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help getting started...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help getting started...

well if you ever need some help feel free to message me or let me know

Post Thanks / Like

I know you mentioned your 1K budget, but I have to offer a small bit of advice I've learned the past two months. The small incidentals bought at HD, Lowes, etc, can easily double a budget. After buying materials for mini tree's, pvc for my boscoyo trim, weather proof boxes, wiring, etc, it adds up fast, so be prepared. Spent two years on Oahu, loved it, best place I ever lived. Looked at a house on the big island, maybe when I retire, lol. Its also sad that Hawaii is losing/or lost its cultural history. The difference between the late 80's and now is mind blowing.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also order from ray wu at aliexpress. Figure freight in your costs though since you are out there a ways. Several of the vendors will try to reduce delivery costs if you work with them on what will fit in "the box". Dont wait to order lights, cables, controllers and power supplies. You don't want to be assembling at the last minute. There is enough to do just installing, testing and sequencing.

Oh, you could budget to buy a sequence or two to show you how it's done. I think the xlights guys are doing a seminar again this year with a "free" lilia sequence. You can participate online if you register and have the weekend free. But the online registration will pay for the sequence. Big help getting started although there are plenty of videos online as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akareaper View Post
    I know you mentioned your 1K budget, but I have to offer a small bit of advice I've learned the past two months. The small incidentals bought at HD, Lowes, etc, can easily double a budget. After buying materials for mini tree's, pvc for my boscoyo trim, weather proof boxes, wiring, etc, it adds up fast, so be prepared. Spent two years on Oahu, loved it, best place I ever lived. Looked at a house on the big island, maybe when I retire, lol. Its also sad that Hawaii is losing/or lost its cultural history. The difference between the late 80's and now is mind blowing.

i know what you mean...little things like enclosures and wire add up real quick...leaves hardly any room for lights unless you can find the cheapest place for them like ray wu

5. Likes akareaper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dj.franqstar View Post
    well if you ever need some help feel free to message me or let me know
    Definitely will! Thank you! We'd love to come up and see your display this holiday season. I'm sure we will keep in touch, as I see us needing this wonderful community's assistance greatly along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm HOPING by picking up the lights, controllers, and any electrical components now for under $1000 would at least get the bulk of the items down that we have to order online. As for the remaining items, hoping an investment of $200-$300 monthly between the months of June-November will cover the materials and hardware needed along the way. We can invest small amounts each month but have to make sure anything we need to order online is looked into now to ensure it actually ships here and delivery works with our schedule. I have a feeling it will all work out. I'm still stuck on how much of everything I need. Should have it all sorted out by the end of this weekend to make my first purchase early this week. Couldn't be more overwhelmed yet excited. I'm going to attach a photo a list of supplies once figured and see what recommendations you all have! Thanks again!

8. Likes akareaper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

getting everything done and setup in november is what you want to aim for...my setup for this years show is already on a tight squeeze getting most of the pixel stuff setup and running in september...just in case i light up for october...i allways have this thing where i get stuck with last minute things to setup or something fails...especially with the rain...make sure you get waterproof pixels if not it will rust and leak inside with the rain we have here.i need to pick up some silicone and what not for the rest of my lights..i lost an entire 100 pixel string for my arches last year...lucky i had an extra 100 to spare...if that failed i would have been stuck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123