Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Driveway Arch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Driveway Arch

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    No, the large size of the arch actually means you DON'T stress the PVC. At 40 feet, that means you only have to bend a 1 1/4" PVC 45 degrees over the span of 10 feet. It can handle that, no problem (more importantly, the PVC couplers can handle that). You can try it with a single 10' section.

My bigger concern is actually having to get up on a ladder. Also the guy lines have to go out quite a ways. If you have access to metalworking, you can lose the guy lines, but it sounds like neither of us have access to that.
    sounds good. Thank you again for your replies, and I may go and try at least one arch and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Driveway Arch

The first is by far the hardest. It gets easier.

While I'm here, I ought to share what also did not work for me: trying to permanently bend the PVC. They sell these benders which work really well on 1/2" and 3/4" (and I have some), but the only ones I found that work on 1 1/4" and up start at $300. I'm not plunking down that money for something where there's no guarantees it'll work. So then I tried to follow these Youtube videos which involve heating up sand to 400 degrees, but that failed miserably. If I could only get the PVC to want to remain in a permanent arch position, that would be so much stronger. I'd probably dump all the guy lines, and rely only on a truss at the bases. But alas, I never could get the bending to work. I wish even more that I could do the same for PEX.

The best I do now is form my initial arches in the heat of the summer, after the PVC has baked in the sun. The PVC has at least a little memory of its arch position then. Just enough to take that stress off the couplers.
    Last edited by 1pet2_9; 09-22-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234