Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underground Null Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Underground Null Pixels

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! I think I'm going to clean up the connections and use the suggested heat shrink. Then I'll put the pixels in a foot long section of PVC and seal the ends. Would there be any problem in spraying an expanding foam insulation inside of the pvc and then using silicon on the ends? I would think that would provide some extra protection in keeping moisture out.

Post Thanks / Like

I used expanding foam to close up the ends of my pipes on the eves. Did it to prevent the flute effect when wind blows across an open pipe. While the pipes were quiet, they did have water coming through the foam when I took them down. From that I would guess the stuff does not prevent water intrusion.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Expanding foam will NOT stop water intrusion or wicking of water into an area! Your best bet would be to just use a good neutral silicone (GE II) to seal up pipes. The drawback of sealing pipes is that if water does get in, it is trapped in the pipe. Kind of depends on each situation that things are used in as to whether or not to seal pipes up IMO.

I use silicone and regular heat shrink on my connections just because I have a lot of each around and am used to it. The glue lined shrink is a perfect method for display use.

Post Thanks / Like

Closed cell foam is good to go behind, just like the backer "rod" the builders use to go into wide cracks before caulking.
    This allows the silicone to maintain it's grip on the important edges and stretch as need elsewhere.

5. Likes beeiilll liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always considered underground joints something that should be avoided as much as possible. As I'm reading this thread, I can't help but think that the best answer is to not put null pixels underground in the first place. You'd be better served with a balanced pixel extender solution and a continuous section of buried wire. I don't use any null pixels in my display at all. Any time i need to go farther than 15' or so, I use pixel extenders and run cat5 between them. It's much more stable and reliable that way, not to mention it eliminates the need for extra splices and joints that need to be protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes plasmadrive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what about that flex seal tape I wonder if you can put it under ground
    https://www.flexsealproducts.com/pro...lQ8aAjl-8P8HAQ
    KEEP HI AND DRY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I've always considered underground joints something that should be avoided as much as possible. As I'm reading this thread, I can't help but think that the best answer is to not put null pixels underground in the first place. You'd be better served with a balanced pixel extender solution and a continuous section of buried wire. I don't use any null pixels in my display at all. Any time i need to go farther than 15' or so, I use pixel extenders and run cat5 between them. It's much more stable and reliable that way, not to mention it eliminates the need for extra splices and joints that need to be protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is good advise. Why spend all that time and energy on a half-assed solution? Either get a board that puts out RS485 or use pixel extenders which also do that conversion with your existing boards. Then you just put your cable in the ground and call it a night.. However, you don't want to use cables that are permeable with moisture. That's a whole other can of worms, and can effect either way you do it if the cable inside the jacket get wet.

Post Thanks / Like

If looking for a waterproof tape, we use this at work: http://http://solutions.3m.com/wps/p...4907179&rt=rud
    It is spendy $40-$50 a roll, but fuses to itself, stretchable. If used where exposed to uv, you should cover with black tape to protect. If you need to get back in, when you cut score it with a knife it opens right up because it is streched like a rubber band, will not leave adhesive residue. It is 100% waterproof if wrapped correctly.
    Last edited by aknflyer; 04-08-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all of the sugestions regarding using different equipment. What I have is what I have at the moment, and for now I would rather try to make it work. Come the fall maybe I'll consider switching over to running Ethernet to all the strands. I have the pixels secured very nicely in pvc and they are siliconed in there really well.

My current problem is that whenever I bury the cables, I start to get a signal problem in the form of pixels flashing/changing colors uncontrolably. Pull the cables out, they work correctly instantly. Does my yard of some sort of strange magnetic interference? The cables are 10 gauge rated for direct burial. I even tried pouring buckets of water on the length of the cables with the lights on hoping to find Where the problem is, but didn't find anything. Even in a small buried 6 foot section with no null pixel,I am getting the poor signal. I am very puzzled, any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Mulder????????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast