Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lexan Pipe Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lexan Pipe Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by arw01 View Post
    I bought white ones off ebay cheap enough that I don't mind replacing them if and when they fail. I use pex 3/4" pipe with strips in them. As such they are a little wider than 1/2" pvc, thus far the ones on my garage have been just fine, but planned on taking them down here after autism awareness day tomorrow and just putting some screws into the holes as place holders. Will see how they fair.
    Replacement on my son's house (where we will be putting these things) is not an easy option. 3 stories up, a high pitched roof, and whatever else can cause anyone problems is pretty much in store for us. We will only have a lift truck for a short time, probably only long enough to put the lights up. We will pay the extra charge for the extra day to initially mount the clips. Hopefully they won't break too often, especially not during the first few years.

Besides, if these things look good enough, I "might" put them up on my house.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Love what your doing for the lighting community wolfie. If you want faster print speed check out switching to a bowden extruding method. You will or can get print speed up to 120mm/s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Lexan ones from HC and had a few break while setting up and taking down last year. I will keep you posted after the second year.

It was not a horrible failure rate but this is the first year they are up. This year will be the real test.
    2014 - pretty basic static display
    2015 - lots of Blinky Flashy
    5 x Renard SS24
    2 x Renard SS16 for singing trees
    2 x e682 for around 2000 pixels
    2016 - Up to around 12,000 pixels and still wanting more.

Post Thanks / Like

I think i will try printing some of these maybe today after work if you would like anymore input. Im planning on doing some stress tests as well. I made some black plastic pipe clips for my solar pool heater and noticed the layers were almost too thick. The screws had to be drove in just to hold or the abs would split. Ill try and mess with cura setting a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever try gripper clips, and plasti-dip them? Just curious if it worked out or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I used about 100 of the clear lexan mounts from HC this last year, and was incredibly impressed actually. We didn't have any breaks, or issues .....yet.

I actually still have them up - and plan to keep them up all year. This will be the official 1-year stress test. I'll report back later this year....if I remember! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmpeaceman View Post
    I used about 100 of the clear lexan mounts from HC this last year, and was incredibly impressed actually. We didn't have any breaks, or issues .....yet.

I actually still have them up - and plan to keep them up all year. This will be the official 1-year stress test. I'll report back later this year....if I remember! ;-)
    I look forward to the report.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lexan Pipe Mounts - follow up advice

David from HolidayCoro here with an update on these lexan clips. Here is what information we've collected over the last year:

Yes, the PVC clips are junk as will be any UV highly reactive plastic or plastic without a UV package added. Here is a video we produced showing accelerated 10 week testing on both lexan and PVC:

We have had reports from customers indicating they had cracked clips varying from zero cracked clips to a number of cracked clips, so in performing research with individual customers and how they installed and used the clips, here are the major factors driving a cracked clip:

* Only pull the pipe directly out of the clip - Pulling the pipe from the clip at an angle greater than 90 degrees from the mounting sub-strait - typically this was a clip mounted on a vertical fascia board and the pipe was removed by pulling down at an angle from the ground level.
    * Use the lowest torque setting on impact drivers - Depending on the sub-strait the clips is mounted to, the screw and the amount of torque applied to the screw causes the clip to bend inward, reducing the overall diameter of the clip opening and thus increasing the possibility for damage.
    * Leave the clip loose - We recommend leaving the clip loose enough that it is possible to easily turn the clip with your fingers. If the clip is so tight that it can't be rotated, the screw has been torqued down too much

Of course there are many factors involved - customer installation methods, pipe installation and removal methods, mounting surfaces, location on the building, temperature, pipe material used in the clip and screw type. Each of these factors can affect the final functionality of the clip and it's propensity to crack or not crack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123