Thread: First year, first display. Should I use one strand to outline my house?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First year, first display. Should I use one strand to outline my house?

Hello all,

I am brand new to this hobby, and this year I want to simply outline my house with RGB pixels, instead of the old standard bulbs. I am a pretty technical person, I already have several raspPi, I have experience with neopixels, and have a programming background.

As I mentioned in the title, I am looking to outline my house. I am going to zip-tie the strands to pvc, and then attach the pvc along my roofline. I have purchased a PiCap [link], which has 2 channels, both of which support 800+ pixels. I have ordered 15 strands (of 50) of the square type 12mm WS2811 Lights. I will be using xLights as a sequencer.

My question is:
    Should I connect all my strands together to form one long string (750 pixels) and connect that directly to the PiCap, or should I try to utilize both channels? I am accustomed to running one long string of lights to cover the entire house, so know it can be accomplished. But I want to know if there is any advantage to using both channels?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First year, first display. Should I use one strand to outline my house?

Hello and good morning,

This is my first response as I just recently joined the group. I also am new to the xmas, arduino, LED's ,sequencing. I started last year November, when a student of mine brought to class and other talked about arduino this and that. Then fast forward to present time my garage is now a toy making, LED integration electronics depot. I pretty much take already made electronics and make them cooler or create toys with electronics.

Aside from many little or semi huge (based on difficulty and time invloved) LED projects on arduino platform, I also tinkered with ws2811 lights, and as for your question , yes you can connect all into one or 2 strands depending on your controller and the recommended amount of NeoPix into 1 power supply most likely 12v to 15v, but its when you get to the coding that can make it time consuming but if your ok code writing then no big deal. I usually for my 4th of july fire works display boards out of 8 boards with strips of 3-15 led (WS2811) separate them and run 1 data cable that I branch out to each strip on each board, this way each starburst "explosion" stays the same color I program so the code runs from the center of the board which is the data in of each strip, sometimes ill connect the data out of the longest strand to another boards data in. Last thing try adding separately adafruit fade candy add little battery pack and that thing can loop some cool colors separate from your current controller.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First year, first display. Should I use one strand to outline my house?

Quote Originally Posted by splaxx View Post
    Hello all,

I am brand new to this hobby, and this year I want to simply outline my house with RGB pixels, instead of the old standard bulbs. I am a pretty technical person, I already have several raspPi, I have experience with neopixels, and have a programming background.

As I mentioned in the title, I am looking to outline my house. I am going to zip-tie the strands to pvc, and then attach the pvc along my roofline. I have purchased a PiCap [link], which has 2 channels, both of which support 800+ pixels. I have ordered 15 strands (of 50) of the square type 12mm WS2811 Lights. I will be using xLights as a sequencer.

My question is:
    Should I connect all my strands together to form one long string (750 pixels) and connect that directly to the PiCap, or should I try to utilize both channels? I am accustomed to running one long string of lights to cover the entire house, so know it can be accomplished. But I want to know if there is any advantage to using both channels?

Thanks!
    Whether you use one output or two, you will need to power inject. The 12v power cannot make it all the way through 375 pixels, let alone 750.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the PiCap on my house also. I located it in the center, and ran off both outputs (one ran left, the other ran right). Then I only had to power-inject at the END of each strand (at the far left and far right).

Running everything off a single output is definitely doable. However, you would have to create more power-injection points. And those power-injection runs might be longer, if you start at one side, and have to run power all the way to the other side.

Post Thanks / Like

the more pixels connected in series = the lower the refresh rate.
    also, as mentioned, you have to power inject.

for pixels on a string i power inject every 50 pixels.
    i personally aim for 150pix on a string max due to refresh rates. i will sometimes go as much as 170ish pixels as a max depending on situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    the more pixels connected in series = the lower the refresh rate.
    also, as mentioned, you have to power inject.

for pixels on a string i power inject every 50 pixels.
    i personally aim for 150pix on a string max due to refresh rates. i will sometimes go as much as 170ish pixels as a max depending on situation.
    What refresh rate do you use?
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont have access to my controllers right now to check.
    its just ws2811/ws2812 1pixelRefreshRate x numpixels

Post Thanks / Like

armchair math says 150pixels is 83fps
    i like high refresh rates.
    750pixels on 1 string will be about 17fps
    375pixels per string is 33fps

tests have shown humans can percieve change differences of about 10ms. at 33fps this is worst case of 33ms difference between desired light change and actual which is 3times over what humans can percieve.

this is why my 80fps is desirable for me, it brings worst case down to 12ms which is just barely perceptable.
    so thats all just talking about how perfectly synched your lights are to your music