Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red pixels

I'm testing pixels that have recently arrived in the mail. They are soldered to RAy Wu's 3 pin pig tails and plugged into a falcon F16v2. I'm using 12v power supplies and 12v pixels. When connected to the board and the controller plugged in, all pixels are a very dim red/pink. If I use the test mode on the controller, they seem to function as normal but once I stop they go back to the red. I have double checked the connections and power is to power ect. I double checked Ray's store as well. Any ideas?

Edit: The picture below is connected with butt connectors because the first set wasn't working. I didn't want to solder those as I was looking for a quick connection. However, same results.
    IMG_1533.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slim00209; 03-20-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Red pixels

This typically happens when power supply voltage is too high, have you measured that?

Post Thanks / Like

That was exactly it. An xlight Facebook member had the same idea. I was running 12.10 volts. Now down to 11.80 and it's fixed. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

That must be a quirk with the controller. I have had pixels hooked directly to a PSU that was outputting 13 volts and never had the red tint like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry72 View Post
    That must be a quirk with the controller. I have had pixels hooked directly to a PSU that was outputting 13 volts and never had the red tint like that.
    If I recall correctly this happens on pixels that use resisters to drop the voltage. This was a widespread issue a year or two ago.

Now most pixels have a regulator instead of resisters to combat this issue.

Also this might not show up on your pixels if there is enough voltage drop between your power source and pixels, i.e. Using multiple extensions. I suppose this would also happen if your controller had a voltage regulator for its outputs, but I don't have any controllers that do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be, i have about 5 feet from the controller and the string and the PSU.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be having this issue again but now with a E6804. Same as before. 12v pixels and power supply, Ray Wu pig tails. Lights are all red once plugged in. I turned the power supply all the way down to about 9.5v and still red. If I plug the same lights into my falcon f16v2, they function as normal. After running on the E6804 for a minute or so, I blew the 5am fuse of the output I was using. Also, I am getting whatever power I have the supply set at, at the controller.

Thanks for any help,
    Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slim00209 View Post
    I seem to be having this issue again but now with a E6804. Same as before. 12v pixels and power supply, Ray Wu pig tails. Lights are all red once plugged in. I turned the power supply all the way down to about 9.5v and still red. If I plug the same lights into my falcon f16v2, they function as normal. After running on the E6804 for a minute or so, I blew the 5am fuse of the output I was using. Also, I am getting whatever power I have the supply set at, at the controller.

Thanks for any help,
    Ryan.

Is this only happening on the 6804?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red pixels

Is this only happening on the 6804?
    It was happening on my falcon last week with the same pixels. Turning down the power supply from 12.01v to 11.8v solved that issue. Should be noted that I have tried two different power supplies with the same issue.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the pixels. Other vendors have all learned from the mistakes of the old design and now use a design with a regulator in every pixel that can go as high as 24V without failing or even turning red. Ray continues to sell pixels with the old, flawed designed.

So if you have them, turn down your power supplies. And try to avoid them by not buying from Ray anymore.
    www.billporter.info
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 Halloween: 2500 Channels; 3 songs. Christmas: 4500 Channels; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 Halloween: 6500 Channels; 4 songs. Christmas: 11,000 Channels; 4 songs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast