Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Guts 3-Axis Skull.. anybody got one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monster Guts 3-Axis Skull.. anybody got one?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Monster Guts 3-Axis Skull.. Does anybody have one? Is it worth the ~$200?

2. Likes NDNS00ner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monster Guts 3-Axis Skull.. anybody got one?

Depends on what your capabilities and final goals are.

Also not sure which package is $200

The 3axis skull is -part- of a system. You also need:
    • the skull
    • the servos
    • a way to program it
    • a way to drive it
    • a way to sync voice to it
    • an eye kit is recommended

This all adds up quick.

You can probably find designs (or make your own) to 3d print the brackets and CNC or 3d print the mounting plate -if- you have the gear and skills. Several years ago, I built a talking skull with moving eyes based around a pico-talk controller. I hand built (cut) the mounting plate from 1/8" hobby plywood. It wasn't difficult but that was nothing near as complex as the 3 axis skull. I think the 3axis skull prices are probably pretty good

MonsterGuts is a very good boo-tique and has a boo-tload of good info. Highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good read if you can make it through most of the 221 pages. I built mine 5 years ago and they are still going strong. IF you can get the "A" plate (someone may make it), and the hole drilled and tapped for 2-56, that is the hardest part. The rest of the hardware I got from McMaster Carr.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great read can be found here
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

If you just want a skull? I bought 10 or so a few years ago at Walgreens, since they were only a buck a piece. I kept going back at the end of Halloween to see if they had more. This years was not as good..the jaw no longer moves. I added a servo to make the jaw move on mine, and used red LED for the eyes. Someplace I have a video posted but I'd have to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.. I'll read through links and see what i come up with. The idea of buying the Monster Guts kit was to save me time (i don't have much time i can give this project)

As for the 'small' details...
    • The Lindberg skulls are only ~$30US
    • I have a box of the required servos laying around
    • My plan is to use a RaspPi and something like Adafruit's servo driver to control the servos.
    • Voice synchro would be done through python code.
    • The eye's can wait a year

I have a CNC and 3D Printer, so if I can find a good build guide i may try to roll-my-own. But i still think the Monster Guts kit might save me a few weeks of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    ... The idea of buying the Monster Guts kit was to save me time (i don't have much time i can give this project) ....
    I don't always know the knowledge and capabilities of people posting here so I was trying to give a heads up just in case. Based on your response, yes, I think the MG kit would give you a nice usable platform much faster than building your own (unless you can find existing 3d models).

MG does good work.

Post Thanks / Like

To give you an idea of prices I purchased a first generation SkullTronix skull for $900 The newest generation will run you $1699.00 So $200 is not a bad price.
    Jeff Squires

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJrMfkUZKo

Years ago I took a cheap Gemmy talking skull and removed all the motor guts and installed a pololu servo controller and some micro servos on a sheet of acrylic with a few bits of wire. Worked good but I never got the time to do anything big. Now that servo controller are under $20 I may revisit this and 3d print a better base.

Used the WAV plug-in with Vixen for a quick motion test.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to control your skull via x-lights and DMX you can get the Board of Chucky from SkullTronix http://www.skulltronix.com/soc.shtml it's $125 but Gil wrote way to control it via X-Lights.
    Jeff Squires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast