Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan Meet Up?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Michigan Meet Up?

Great meeting. Learned a lot. Looking forward to more LED talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I will see if this forum compares to the facebook xlights group. Michigan guys had great things to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Was nice meeting everyone and look forward to some meetings in the future. I'll see if we can get a sub category of Michigan area added here or if I could set up a facebook group. What do you think?
    Jeff Squires

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff Squires

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff for links on Compressors,

I looked for them and didn't find what I was looking for. Now I can just click on the link.

I did also look the ESPixelStick. That looks like a very cheap and great device. Does anyone know if there will be another group buy for them (I'm sure someone has insider information - Paul)? I like the simple web based configuration and Java based code.

Chad "Duke the Jester"

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed meeting all of you and hope we can do it again.

Chad, there is supposed to be more of the ESPixelsticks sold in May. Stay tuned!
    Paul

2014 - FM-02 - Vixen 2.1.1 - 369 Channels - DMX, RenardPlus 32, 11 Dumb RGB strips, 100 pixels
    2015 - FM-02 - V3 - E1.31 - 500 roof pixels, 4 Arches, 4 Singing trees w/RenardPlus 32, 10 Dumb RGB strips.
    2016 - Added Pixel Tree, P10 sign, Window Pixels via Komby
    2017 - Bigger Tree, Bigger Sign, ESPixelsticks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
    For those who asked about inexpensive compressors ...
    What does this do? Do you have a sample of how you've used it?

Post Thanks / Like

The audio compressor, as I recently learned Saturday. takes the audio, and levels out the low/high points to equalize the volume a much as possible, thus eliminating soft or loud spots during the songs. Then folks are not trying to adjust volume while watching/listening. As for the technical aspects, I'm clueless on that.

Post Thanks / Like

When an audio device prevents a signal from going over a certain threshold, it is known as a "limiter".

A compressor does a bit more.

It (you) sets the lower and the upper limits that you want the audio dynamic range (volume) to be able to obtain (the quietest and the loudest you want the final signal to be). The incoming signal is then proportionally applied to meet the output desired. If a signal level is low, it is boosted to come up to the corresponding low level of the desired output. If a signal level is high, it is lessened to the highest level set for output. If a signal level is midway, it is applied to the midway point of the desired output.

The reason a compressor is usually (and I mean "usually") used is to maintain an appearance of dynamic range, yet keeping the output within the boundaries set for the output.

This differs from the earlier mentioned limiter. A limiter allows everything to remain as it was at the input until a specific ceiling is reached. From that point upward, all input is not allowed to go above the limiter's set level. (This is known as a "hard limit" or "hard ceiling". There are other, and I will say better, ways to apply a limiter, but that is for a different discussion.)

I use limiters to prevent sounds from over driving a channel's capabilities (drums and some other percussion instruments, microphones near pyrotechnic devices [which sometimes "bang" when they ignite] and the like.)

I use compressors on vocals - a lot. The reason is to keep the output levels at a specific dynamic range. (Some vocalists change distances between themselves and their mics on a regular basis, others get "excited" one night, and not the next. etc.)

Using a compressor before a transmitter is an extremely good idea. By maintaining a specific dynamic range, those with less than "state of the art" radios can enjoy the same "sound" as those with receivers with high dynamics. It also puts less stress on the transmitter's signal. (Any of you radio engineers can speak up on this one.) Most FM radio stations have compressed the signal, either at the time of transmission or when the audio bank was being filled (compression was applied to the recorded signal as it was being saved.)

Then again, I would expect that all this was gone over at your mini.
    Last edited by algerdes; 04-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahha! Starting to get it.

Most of us weren't at the mini and I've never heard of anyone using one of these. Does it give a better experience to our listeners/viewers or is it audiophile nirvana?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast