Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Disco Ball..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Disco Ball..

We've been using a cheap disco ball as part of our Halloween display for years. With all of the fog machines we use, the disco ball creates a multi-color 'search light' effect as it spins and can be seen all up and down our street. We always get a bunch of complements on it... which is strange because we also have a yard full of 6' Zombies setup to look like they are attacking the house (but people like the $10 spinning light... )

My plan is to build/modify a version that uses Pixel's that i can controll from Vixen3/xLights.. Before i get started i want to make sure i don't re-invent the wheel(ball). Is there already something like this (plans or kit)? (Im talking low-er cost.. not the high end DMX versions)

Any Ideas before i get started?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Disco Ball..

Similar yes, but not the same. Sparkle balls made from 50 - 9oz clear Solo cups. Stapled into a sphere with pixels facing out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a boscoyo icosasphere would work

Post Thanks / Like

To get the "search light" effect, won't the light have to be somewhat focused? I image the ball that is pictured uses a single incan bulb and the colored lens act like light guides to form semi-focused beams. The colored lens might even have short tubes to accentuate the effect. That might be hard to do with pixels but I'm curious what solutions develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    To get the "search light" effect, won't the light have to be somewhat focused? I image the ball that is pictured uses a single incan bulb and the colored lens act like light guides to form semi-focused beams. The colored lens might even have short tubes to accentuate the effect. That might be hard to do with pixels but I'm curious what solutions develop.
    you would think.. but on our cheap 'disco ball' its just a colored piece of plastic (no type of lens). I think the distance from the bulb to the hole is the only thing that creates the 'spotlight'.

My current plan is to 3D print a sphere (2 halves, hollow that fit together), Drill some holes for 12mm pixels and see what works best to create the spotlight effect.

Spinning the ball will be easy (simple geared motor with power slip-ring)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    you would think.. but on our cheap 'disco ball' its just a colored piece of plastic (no type of lens). I think the distance from the bulb to the hole is the only thing that creates the 'spotlight'.

My current plan is to 3D print a sphere (2 halves, hollow that fit together), Drill some holes for 12mm pixels and see what works best to create the spotlight effect.

Spinning the ball will be easy (simple geared motor with power slip-ring)
    Re Lens: Your description is what I expected. I was not thinking optical quality by any stretch.
    Re Slip-Ring: 3 conductor slip-ring to include data? Will that be too noisy for data? How about an ESPixelStick or equivalent? That way it is just power.
    Re spotlight effect: What about short lengths of small pvc pipe on each pixel? Or print them on the exterior of the sphere?

Post Thanks / Like

OK maybe slip rings handle data better that I thought...
    Sparkfun

Post Thanks / Like

Well....

9. Likes djulien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure the coloured discs still act as a lens. They only have to bend the light a little to mike quite a difference to the spot size at distance.

I've had a look on aliexpress and there are some lens assemblies that might work ok with normal pixels
    Option 1 I think this might be best as it one of few I could find that gave the width of the led's hole. At 8mm it might need expanding a little but the lens is simple so there is space.
    Option 2 Lots of sellers of these but less clear if a pixel would fit.

Using 5050 pixels might work a bit better with the lenses, it is more similar to what they are designed for and would be more of a point source which should give a sharper beam. Ray has lots of options for them including A, B, C.

I might order some myself to have a play with - if I ever decide what I'm doing this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Well....
    Have you tried putting this in a foggy environment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast