Thread: Keystone compatible power jack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keystone compatible power jack

I have a few items that will be installed indoors. I'd like to make the area they attach to the wall inconspicuous and look professionally done. I can easily run the data for pixels over cat 6 and use a keystone jack insert for that, but the problem comes with supplying power. I do not know what keystone compatible jack type would be suitable for running the DC + and - power.

Would banana jacks do the trick? I looked at Wikipedia and it says most are suitable for 30V 15A which is certainly greater than the voltage and power I'd plan on running but is there some electrical reason for not doing this?

I do not want to run into any issues with wires overheating or causing a fire hazard so I'm not keen on running power over the cat 6 cable along with the data. I'd likely need to run in the neighborhood of 8-12 Amps 12V through the power cabling.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Keystone compatible power jack

I would say use something like the power pole connectors and keystone jacks in an enclosure would be my personal preference. You could use a multiple power pole plate like this and a couple of keystone jacks for other uses.
    I have a weatherproof switch box with 2 keystone jacks in it now that takes my cat 5 cable signals out and also have a cat 5 cable that runs from my computer to a LED scrolling sign that I use. Since I run LOR it works for me now with multiple AC outlets under my front deck for power. I will just make enclosure boxes later on as I incorporate pixels into things for DC supplies and controllers.

This is anice multiple PowerPole faceplate that would allow expansion later on easily if you needed or just use a smaller one. Since the Power Pole connectors can be gotten with high amperage capabilities it is easy to configure them.

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-1470...ole+connectors
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Those are nice connectors. I don't think I adequately specified the application, though. My requirements are to connect a prop that will be sitting inside a window of the house. This window is not next to any outlets, 12' off the floor and about 10" from the ceiling. I was going to install an old work box above it on the ceiling and have a wall plate on the box, but I know of no standard jacks to use for low voltage dc power+data. During the 11 months the prop will not be in use, I don't want the wall plate to be ugly and obtrusive. So I'm not looking for an enclosure, but rather an unobtrusive wall plate with some standardized jack that I can use to hook up a pixel prop.

In doing some more research I've come across XLR3 cables. Has anyone previously used XLR connectors in an indoor prop where water is a non-issue? Can it handle the sorts of voltages and amps that pixel props use?

Post Thanks / Like

Disclaimer: I like Anderson PowerPoles (APPs)
    I found this. I think it is 3D printed so you might be able to make your own if you had the gear. You can use white APP shrouds instead of read and black as shown in the link and the connectors would disappear into the cover. When paired like this, the APPs are keyed so that you cannot connect them wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand better now what you want to do. An inside installation would be different and I was thinking outside!

Here is a threaded power pole connector you might consider:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172418422569

Looks like it "might" be big enough to allow a keystone jack along with it but without having one to see, hard to tell. It would make a pretty stylish looking faceplate though and there are a couple others on there that might work like what Jerry-Rigs is suggesting.
    I am not sure what capacity XLR connectors would have without some research but you might get them to work. Depends on how much current you needed to draw for your pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably go with Banana Jacks(black red) OR a blank and find a panel mount connector that would fit. That is a good bit of amperage you are planning to run though.

Blank: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
    Blank with hexagonal hole: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"With great power comes great electricity bill." - Unknown Electricity Consumer
    "Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    City float for Parade of Lights with:
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Ren4Flood + DIYCFlood + Ren-W in 500 Watt enclosure
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ
    2 24 Channel RBW LED Ropelight Midi Trees out of artificial Christmas trees.

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">2011
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%
    16' 8 channel Multi-color + Clear Megatree 100%</div>[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utimgr View Post
    That particular part is not rated for the current he plans to run through it. Although I don't know if any barrel connectors can take 12 Amps. It probably would fit well in the empty keystone though.
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"With great power comes great electricity bill." - Unknown Electricity Consumer
    "Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    City float for Parade of Lights with:
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Ren4Flood + DIYCFlood + Ren-W in 500 Watt enclosure
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ
    2 24 Channel RBW LED Ropelight Midi Trees out of artificial Christmas trees.

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">2011
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%
    16' 8 channel Multi-color + Clear Megatree 100%</div>[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Verrous View Post
    ...I was going to install an old work box above it on the ceiling and have a wall plate on the box, but I know of no standard jacks to use for low voltage dc power+data. During the 11 months the prop will not be in use, I don't want the wall plate to be ugly and obtrusive. So I'm not looking for an enclosure, but rather an unobtrusive wall plate with some standardized jack...
    Why don't you use this box made by Arlington. It's recessed, you can use any style receptacle cover, divided for power and low voltage and when not in use, install the blank cover over the whole thing.

image.jpg

Here is the link to the product
    Last edited by critic2; 03-10-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Chuck P
    nothing to show