Thread: Zip Ties

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zip Ties

thought i would share this find. especially to newbies, if your setup requires the use of zip ties, you will be suprised at how fast a bag of 100 will go. this morning i picked up a bag of 1000 zip ties from Northern Tools for $9.99. by being on their email list, i get mailed a $5 off $15 coupon 4-5 times a year.

20170227_103221.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Zip Ties

Monoprice has awesome pricing on zip ties too. Especially if you need multiple thousand 4" ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use monoprice all the time. Seeing some failures in my two year old stock.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I use monoprice all the time. Seeing some failures in my two year old stock.
    Is that white/clear ones? I have the same issue, 2 to 3 years old and they get brittle. It's not just monoprice but all white ones. I'm guessing it's because only the black has uv protection.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    Is that white/clear ones? I have the same issue, 2 to 3 years old and they get brittle. It's not just monoprice but all white ones. I'm guessing it's because only the black has uv protection.
    Mostly the white but some of the black as well (White failures are 3x the black failures). I have been shifting to the use of self sticking velcro for many of my previous zip tie applications.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I've been replacing all on a prop when they get brittle. And always use black to hang them by. It gets tiring to replace them. I have thought about going to old wire bread ties for permanent stuff.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    I've been replacing all on a prop when they get brittle. And always use black to hang them by. It gets tiring to replace them. I have thought about going to old wire bread ties for permanent stuff.
    If you just need holding strength, strip some solid copper, 24 gauge, CAT5 - - Wrap, twist, wrap again twist & trim. Should get you about 10 years.
    In Lights Therapy

8. Likes Ruppro, azbacks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy 5" & 8" black ones at Harbor freight $2.00 for 100. So far two years no failures. Every time I go in there I clean them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Not all wire ties are created equal.

I use "HVAC" wire ties because they're UV protected (and black) and are specifically designed to withstand very high and very low temperatures because they end up outside, in hot attics, etc. It goes to durability. I'd rather pay a little more for ties that will remain zipped for years to come. For seasonal stuff, where they get cut when everything gets packed away, I use the absolute cheapest ties I can buy.