Thread: Running Pixels in a Theatrical setting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Running Pixels in a Theatrical setting

So I made my first pixel tree this past holiday season thanks to everyone in this forum! By day I am Technical Director at a theatre and would love to use pixels in some of my set designs. Does anyone here have experience doing this? Just wondering what interface you used and how that works with a lighting console like an ETC ION. I would love any guidance.

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Running Pixels in a Theatrical setting

I've used them a couple times for shows. For Peter Pan I used pixels for Tinkerbell (a puppet), and the various locations she appears around the room. These were all wireless using the Komby transmitter (with serial board for the DMX) and receiver (outputted directly to the pixels).
    Also have used a ton on various sets where we just used a DMX decoder https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...5ce5139eoZD02C
    We did have to make sure that things were power injected when needed. For one show we got custom spaced pixels from Ray Wu for a back wall grid we did.
    I don't know what board we used (I'm the props master/special effects/automation expert). I like to think we started using pixels because of my involvement with them for Christmas.
    [B][SIZE=3]2013 - First year[/SIZE][/B]
    ~2,500 Lights, 8 mini-trees (1 RenardSS24, 22 Channels) Using Vixen 3.0.10

[B][SIZE=3]2014 Goals/Additions:[/SIZE][/B]
    10' spiral tree controlled with 2 RenardSS24 (16 strands, 3 colors on each strand)
    Learn/play with RBG Pixels (potential RBG star for spiral tree)
    Learn/play with wireless/pixels to use with my other hobby, theatre.

Post Thanks / Like

I did last month in an "open air theatre". We made 18 rings 1.6M diameter (5,4F?), we made a huge projection screen 45*2.5M (about 150F * 8F). We also made a huge sign CINEMA with about 700 leds. Then we made a hat with 150 led's around it, 4 3W leds inside and a 30W white LED iside. All was connected to pixelsticks, exept the 30W white led. It worked quite fine. We could see the lighing console was driven to its max (or above) with about 7800 leds.
    Errors for fun only.

Post Thanks / Like

Errors for fun only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SetMonkey13 View Post
    I've used them a couple times for shows. For Peter Pan I used pixels for Tinkerbell (a puppet), and the various locations she appears around the room. These were all wireless using the Komby transmitter (with serial board for the DMX) and receiver (outputted directly to the pixels).
    Also have used a ton on various sets where we just used a DMX decoder https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...5ce5139eoZD02C
    We did have to make sure that things were power injected when needed. For one show we got custom spaced pixels from Ray Wu for a back wall grid we did.
    I don't know what board we used (I'm the props master/special effects/automation expert). I like to think we started using pixels because of my involvement with them for Christmas.
    Thanks for the info! I am also about to do a wall grid! Trying to figure it all out now!