Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheap Flood Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cheap Flood Light

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    Highly recommend it, PETG is my go-to filament now. Durability of ABS without having to run 100c bed temps, enclosures, or deal with warping.
    You, however, can't acetone smooth or weld PETG like you can ABS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    I will have to get and try PETG.
    Check out awww.atomicfilament.com.. Their PETG is slightly more $ then companies like eSun ($33 vs $26) but its more uniform (0.03 mm or better roundness & diameter) and is made in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You, however, can't acetone smooth or weld PETG like you can ABS.
    PETG has no odor, doesn't warp (much), doesn't need a heated bed and It doesn't absorb moisture as fast as ABS/PLA (less hygroscopic)... ABS is kind of 'old fashioned', like 3mm sized filament

Post Thanks / Like

I'd caution on using PLA given your location. I used PLA for my Halloween accents lights and they're all warped now. Will be re-doing them in PETG for next season - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1841988
    Highly recommend it, PETG is my go-to filament now. Durability of ABS without having to run 100c bed temps, enclosures, or deal with warping.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Check out awww.atomicfilament.com.. Their PETG is slightly more $ then companies like eSun ($33 vs $26) but its more uniform (0.03 mm or better roundness & diameter) and is made in the US.

PETG has no odor, doesn't warp (much), doesn't need a heated bed and It doesn't absorb moisture as fast as ABS/PLA (less hygroscopic)... ABS is kind of 'old fashioned', like 3mm sized filament
    Well, I bought some Hatchbox PETG and just can't seem to get consistent prints. What settings do you guys use? I have been using 245 print head temp, 60 bed temp, print speed 30.... Tried a whole bunch of different settings. Comes out stringy or blobby, or lifts from the bed.....
    Last edited by kev; 11-24-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got a chance to take a crappy photo of the cheap floodlights. The light housing probably does not focus/reflect the light all that much, but it looks cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Cheap Flood Light - UPDATED for Pixels

I have used the floodlight design that I documented in the beginning of this thread for the last 3 years. However, I wanted to reduce the number of cables that I need to run from controllers to these RGB dumb lights, and I wanted a floodlight with more light output. Since I have pixels along the eaves where these floodlights are located, I will be changing the dumb RGB LEDs out for pixels and adding them into the data and power path. This will result in a much cleaner installation and allow me to keep them up year-around.

Since the original design with PLA, I had tried using PETG filament but I have not been able to get the settings right on my printer. So my go to filament now is PLA+. PLA+ seems to provide a lot more strength and is less brittle than standard PLA. I end up spray painting all of the surfaces so I think they will hold up to the elements very well. Especially since they are protected by the house eaves from direct sunlight or rain.

I have uploaded the .stl files to Thingiverse. They can be found here ===> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4122324. I will likely adapt the design into something that could be assembled into a larger matrix.

IMG_5944.jpgIMG_5945.jpgIMG_5947.jpgIMG_5956.jpgIMG_6043.jpg
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap Flood Light

If you’re looking for a better light output, you might also want to take a look here (basically, consider other options for better light output)

More info:

https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...RGB-LED-WS2811
    Last edited by Bwinter; 02-02-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

BWinter, your message inbox is full and won't accept my message.
    Kevin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123