5 2.25%
  • 81+

2 0.90%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's your age?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's your age?

Quote Originally Posted by kk6ou View Post
    LOL, this is really funny. You know you don't have to intercept deliveries before the wife sees them.... How you ask?? After you order just redirect the package to a UPS or Fedex store. That way you can pick it up and take it in when "Coast is Clear"!
    I'm not judging you in any way, but I'd rather order items with her permission, or at least order them then inform her and not try to be sneaky about getting light stuff into the house. After a couple years of some projects that didn't get completed, this year she's actually helping me get more organized and get some things done. She wants me to be happy with this hobby and thus far I've only been mostly frustrated. Now, that said, she doesn't want me spending $2000 every month or so, but there's really not a budget limit, but more of a "Are you really sure you need that? If you do need that, what will you use that for?" mentality. Focus is good for me.

Post Thanks / Like

My original post about this was in jest. While I do work at home, and deliveries often come when she is not here, she IS fully in on the whole lights thing and loves to see what I put together (and even more so when we sequence songs together for them. I agree with you entirely - it is never a good idea to go behind the wife's back.

Besides, my wife does the books so she will ALWAYS see what I am buying.

Jimboha
    Springville, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

Turning 36 in March. We just moved to a new house in Virginia (need to update my profile I guess) and having our second child soon. Not sure when I'll have time to redesign my elements for a new show. Don't have as much time as I used to. I'm hoping once my two daughters get old enough they will look at my old light show videos and will want me to keep doing this. For now I guess I'll be in the planning stages for a while. Nice thread!
    [SIZE=3][B]8000 + E1.31 Channels (5x E68x controllers)
    128 Renard Channels[/SIZE][/B]
    sequencing with LightShow Pro 2.8 and/or Vixen 3 (using xLights scheduler)
    2 x Pixel Mega Trees, RGB Pixel Roofline, 2 x RGB Pixel Spinners, 11 x Pixel Bushes, 6 x GECE Icicle Arches, 16 x RGB Mini Trees, 2 x Vertical Pixel Poles,
    12 x 10w RGB Floods, 160 Strobes controlled by Arduino
    [URL="http://www.controlthelights.net"]http://www.controlthelights.net[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimboha View Post
    My original post about this was in jest. While I do work at home, and deliveries often come when she is not here, she IS fully in on the whole lights thing and loves to see what I put together (and even more so when we sequence songs together for them. I agree with you entirely - it is never a good idea to go behind the wife's back.

Besides, my wife does the books so she will ALWAYS see what I am buying.

Jimboha
    I get: You bought three more things from ebay and what is falconChristmas. There is no dodging the bookkeeper.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

5. Likes Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

45 here. I've been decorating with static lights since I've had my own house since 1997. Nothing out of the ordinary until I decided to do a Virtual Santa about 5 years ago in one of my upstairs windows. It was so simple and had a big response especially with the very little ones. My kids were already teenagers by then but they still thought it was cool. So I decided last year to take the plunge into pixels and added a pixel mega tree that was controllable by the viewers using their phones. I honestly didn't know this stuff existed until I watched "The Great Light Fight" in 2015. I wish I had known sooner! So, I have one year under my belt as far as animated displays go and it was awesome. This year I am adding a 6 layer pixel star topper and redesigning the structure of the tree to use an ASAP pole. And I'm getting into creating my own sequences.

My wife thinks I have too many hobbies but is lenient as long as I use the "fun money" (aka fantasy football winnings (if any) and $ from various other side jobs) for most of the cost. Needless to say it's never enough She thought I was nuts doing the mega tree last year but after all was said and done I caught her on several occasions out front in the car playing songs on the Mega Tree. That was as much validation as I could've hoped for ;)

No idea what the future holds for me with this hobby but I hope to add something every year and keep learning!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good Bell Curve to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a hat that says "older than dirt" I guess I can appreciate "old gizzer gift.

Interesting poll. Appears this is a mature, but young at heart hobby

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345