Thread: Newbe, just have a few easy questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbe, just have a few easy questions.

Hello, I'm putting together my first show this year and have a few quick questions. I'm thinking of running my show with Vixen 3 and wanted to know if the Renard controllers were the best choice? I'm thinking of buying some SS16 and 24 kits.

Also, boards are good for running RGB lights? I'm thinking of running some dumb strands.

I love working with electronics and anything DIY so building my own controller is right up my alley.

Thanks for the help, Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbe, just have a few easy questions.

the ss16 and ss24 are good boards and work fine with vixen as for dumb rgb strings you will need a dumb controller to run them (http://www.holidaycoro.com/DUMB-RGB-...ERS-s/1837.htm) the ss series boards are for regular incandescent or led strings
    James WinterHaven Fl

3. Likes TMerk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify:
    The ss16 & ss24 are AC controllers for line level lighting (LED or incans, such as you buy at your local hardware store.)
    Dumb controllers drive "dumb" pixels - the control is on the board. Dumb pixels usually work as a string - turn on "green" and the whole string is green.
    Smart controllers drive pixels that each have a control chip (either near or inside the LED). Most of the conversations on the sites these days deal with smart pixels.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Renard SS series are great. They are well documented and lots of users here to help and were designed with beginners in mind. Dumb rgb, I would recommend buying pixels. They cost a little more but you will probably go to them soon. And dumb rgb are difficult to resell later. You can program pixels to run the same as dumb rgb if your looking to simplify sequencing.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

My original plan was to use a mixture of conventional strings of lights as well as some dumb pixels, but your probably right that I should just move up to programable pixel strings. I guess I was hoping to save a few bucks because the RGB controllers are a lot cheaper.

Thanks for twisting my arm... I will look into the pixel controllers and see what I all need to do.

Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
    My original plan was to use a mixture of conventional strings of lights as well as some dumb pixels, but your probably right that I should just move up to programable pixel strings. I guess I was hoping to save a few bucks because the RGB controllers are a lot cheaper.

Thanks for twisting my arm... I will look into the pixel controllers and see what I all need to do.

Dale P.
    Conventional strings and anything you already own, use it. It will let you move a little slower into this. The SS controllers have great resale as your ready to move on. If you just want to dip your toes in pixels, the Renard px1 controller can get you started. But it's not a full fledged controller. The San Devices e6804 and the Falcon f4v2 are smaller but full function pixel controllers that cost less. But if your buying one pixel controller to start out and plan to keep, the Falcon F16v2r or now F16v3 and San Devices E682 are the way to go. They have all the options and give you room to grow or change how you use it in future years.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I'm petty sure I will always have some type of LED or ican strings in my display and will need a SS controller to run it. I want to do a halloween display too and hope to make some animated projects that could make use of the SS controllers too. I'm hoping to buy two 16 channel units next week and get them soldered up so I have something to play with.
    As for pixel controllers, I'm thinking of jumping right in and getting a Falcon so I have the capability to expand in the future.

Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Controllers like the E6804 or E682 will allow you to also run Renard boards. I run all my Renards off one port of a E6804. The other 3 ports are used for pixels.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk