Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2" HDPE arches almost there

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2" HDPE arches almost there

So I settled on 10' lengths for the HDPE. I was not able to figure out that I had an extra 3' left over out of the 100' roll until I had already cut a couple.. that extra few inches per would have been nice.

But anyway.. here is what I have done so far. Now just waiting on the pixel strips from Ray.

I used much of Matt Johnson's method but didn't want the footprint on my lawn because it leaves a dead spot for over a year. I came up with a method using just using two metal stakes.
    Ready for strips.jpg
    ground stake.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2" HDPE arches almost there

Awesome!
    Wish I could get that in the Netherlands.
    Just no way to ship it. And nobody who can ship those length to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work! Where did you get the HDPE?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy2004 View Post
    Awesome!
    It's really just high pressure pump tubing. I would think you could find it somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!
    Hey Sammy, I live in the UK and had the same problem as you!

I did find someone (bic warehouse) on amazon selling some sharkbite pex pipe, but it was only 1/2".
    I got it anyway as I thought I'd use some strips at the very least, and wasn't really that impressed with its translucency to be honest.

I tried some different types of white waste pipe available in the UK, and found polypropylene (PP pipe) worked very well!
    I did note that different brands of pipe seem to have different translucency, I tried some from screwfix, toolstation and B&Q.
    The pipe from screwfix and toolstation was not good at all, hardly any light came through.

Below is a video of some 38mm pipe I bought from B&Q which I've placed some 12mm round pixel nodes inside.

So I suggest you take some LED's and go to some hardware / builders merchant stores and try various brands.
    Hope that helps!
    Mick

6. Thanks Sammy2004, markp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got asked about materials list.. If you want to do what I did, here is what I have so far.
    Materials list if you want to do it the way I did:
    1. #50375K65 High-Pressure/Vacuum Polyethylene Tubing for Chemicals, Semi-Clear, 2" ID, 2-1/4" OD
    I used 10' per arch. McMaster Carr
    2. Cantex #5140106 SCH 40/80 Terminal Adapter. x 2
    I found some at Home Depot but the rest I had to order. This is the only one I found that will fit nicely inside the tubing. It is 1 1/4" male.
    3. 6H-5TB-10 by Superstrut. Home Depot. x 2
    OR:
    Model # 49145 Gampak 2-in Rigid Clamp. Lowes. x 2
    Either of these will work. I got some others from my local wholesale house but the stand off distance was not enough for the stake to go thru.
    4. Store SKU #545245 3/4" x 18" round metal stake. Home Depot
    I drill and tap the top hole for a 1/4x20 bolt. x 2
    5. 1/2" EMT cut to 79". I flatten both end approx 1.5" in a vise. Drilled a 5/16" hole 1/2" in from each end. Paint black.
    6. 1/4x20x3/4" bolt and flat washer. x 2
    7. Store SKU #536741 Home Depot x 2
    1-1/4 in. PVC Sch. 40 Cap. This is the only cap I could find that would thread on the Terminal Adapter. I tried a few others but they wouldn't work.
    When I get my strips and figure out the final method for mounting them, I will post.

8. Thanks Ronnie thanked for this post
    Likes Ronnie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    Got asked about materials list.. If you want to do what I did, here is what I have so far.
    Materials list if you want to do it the way I did:
    1. #50375K65High-Pressure/Vacuum Polyethylene Tubing for Chemicals, Semi-Clear, 2" ID, 2-1/4" OD
    I used 10' per arch. McMaster Carr
    2. Cantex #5140106 SCH 40/80 Terminal Adapter. x 2
    I found some at Home Depot but the rest I had to order. This is the only one I found that will fit nicely inside the tubing. It is 1 1/4" male.
    3. 6H-5TB-10 by Superstrut. Home Depot. x 2
    OR:
    Model # 49145 Gampak 2-in Rigid Clamp. Lowes. x 2
    Either of these will work. I got some others from my local wholesale house but the stand off distance was not enough for the stake to go thru.
    4. Store SKU #545245 3/4" x 18" round metal stake. Home Depot
    I drill and tap the top hole for a 1/4x20 bolt. x 2
    5. 1/2" EMT cut to 79". I flatten both end approx 1.5" in a vise. Drilled a 5/16" hole 1/2" in from each end. Paint black.
    6. 1/4x20x3/4" bolt and flat washer. x 2
    7. Store SKU #536741 Home Depot x 2
    1-1/4 in. PVC Sch. 40 Cap. This is the only cap I could find that would thread on the Terminal Adapter. I tried a few others but they wouldn't work.
    When I get my strips and figure out the final method for mounting them, I will post.
    Am I reading it correctly that the tube can be purchased in 10 ft sections? How bad was shipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickr View Post
    Hey Sammy, I live in the UK and had the same problem as you!

I did find someone (bic warehouse) on amazon selling some sharkbite pex pipe, but it was only 1/2".
    I got it anyway as I thought I'd use some strips at the very least, and wasn't really that impressed with its translucency to be honest.

I tried some different types of white waste pipe available in the UK, and found polypropylene (PP pipe) worked very well!
    I did note that different brands of pipe seem to have different translucency, I tried some from screwfix, toolstation and B&Q.
    The pipe from screwfix and toolstation was not good at all, hardly any light came through.

Below is a video of some 38mm pipe I bought from B&Q which I've placed some 12mm round pixel nodes inside.

So I suggest you take some LED's and go to some hardware / builders merchant stores and try various brands.
    Hope that helps!
    Mick
    PP tube. Hmmz but with a strip u won't see the cores?

Post Thanks / Like

PP tube. Hmmz but with a strip u won't see the cores?
    Case by case. Some PP is almost clear, some is very milky. The smaller tube shows hot spots as the led is close to the inside wall. Bigger tube let's you have the strip further away and diffuse better.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    Case by case. Some PP is almost clear, some is very milky. The smaller tube shows hot spots as the led is close to the inside wall. Bigger tube let's you have the strip further away and diffuse better.
    I might try some PP waste pipes yeah. Would be nice to make bigger arches than 6'6"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast