• Sandevices E682

14 70.00%
  • HinksPix 16

6 30.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Controller / E682 vs HinksPix16

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Controller / E682 vs HinksPix16

Hello all. Getting ready to purchase my first "big boy" controller.

Should i purchase the Sandevices E682, or HinksPix16

I can get both for about the same price. HinksPix may be about $20 cheaper (not that it really matters)

Please let me know your thoughts!!! Thank you all!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Controller / E682 vs HinksPix16

The HinksPix is so new I don't think you will get too much feedback on it yet but the e682 has been around for a while and is very solid. The e682 does not have some of the features and does not scale a much as something like the Falcon boards but they are great cards. I have been running 6 e682's for a couple of years now and have not had any issues with them. The V5 firmware should update some of it's limitations but it is still in Beta and has been for almost a year so I am not sure how much time is being dedicated to it. I think sales have dropped off with the Falcon boards becoming the Gold standard of controllers right now so development may be suffering due to that.

If you are looking to build it yourself and want to stay inexpensive the e682 is great if you are going to buy it already built then I would seriously look at the Falcon F16V3 as the price delta is not that great and the Falcon is the best board around right now. If you are building it yourself the price of the e682 cannot be beat so if you are on a budget I would not hesitate to pick one up.

You can also look for used e682's if you are trying to stay inexpensive as a lot of people are selling them to buy the Falcon boards right now.

I have e682's, Falcon F16V2's, Alphapix, and PixLite MkII boards and the Falcons are the best followed by the e682 boards. The Alphapix from Holidaycoro would be third and I would not even consider another PixLite MkII as I have 2 of them and pulled them out of my show this year due to problems with ports going bad and fuses blowing. Never had any issues with the other 3 vendors.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the HinksPix for you. I think if you are using HLS for sequencing the HinksPix would probably be the way to go as he makes the boards and HLS software so integration will be great but if you are using xLights the Falcon board is the way to go since David Pitts (Falcon) has been working with the xLights team to add features like autoconfiguration of your Falcon board direct from xLights by using a send to controller button. I'm sure there is more to come as well.

Hope that helps.

Mark
    2014 - pretty basic static display
    2015 - lots of Blinky Flashy
    5 x Renard SS24
    2 x Renard SS16 for singing trees
    2 x e682 for around 2000 pixels
    2016 - Up to around 12,000 pixels and still wanting more.

Post Thanks / Like

This will probably be useful as well:

http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

It is a full comparison of controllers.
    2014 - pretty basic static display
    2015 - lots of Blinky Flashy
    5 x Renard SS24
    2 x Renard SS16 for singing trees
    2 x e682 for around 2000 pixels
    2016 - Up to around 12,000 pixels and still wanting more.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is neither, I would go with a falcon.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5. Likes MrSmoofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog30 View Post
    My vote is neither, I would go with a falcon.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Couldn't agree more!

Post Thanks / Like

Neither. Falcon F16 either v2 or v3.

Post Thanks / Like

If you enjoy soldering , I would suggest the e682 in kit form . Having a controller that you can assemble your self is a plus for this Hobby .

Ultimately you will want 1 of each as this hobby is addictive .

If you are not to experienced with soldering and would like an assembled and working controller , I would suggest the HinksPix16 .

Best of luck as you can't go wrong either way .

9. Likes dougd, TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

this is a personal preference thing! not what would be best for you, as for a comparison between the 2 boards, 1 has more pixels it can do, and other options, but the other board has been out for awhile, and is used more by people since it has been around for awhile, you are the one who needs to decide there are other pixels boards like the falcon and the alphapix and the pixelite boards and some other things that actually run pixels that you can choose from I myself run 3 different types of pixel controllers in my show right now
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

In my first year sequencing I had a E682 I was highly disappointed with it. very limited on distance it could send data. I gave it away and went to a F16v2 and have never looked back. This year I have ordered a F16v3 and my show is growing. Just remember to think about tomorrows (the years to come) shows. Its always growing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyg View Post
    In my first year sequencing I had a E682 I was highly disappointed with it. very limited on distance it could send data. I gave it away and went to a F16v2 and have never looked back. This year I have ordered a F16v3 and my show is growing. Just remember to think about tomorrows (the years to come) shows. Its always growing.
    I agree with you suggestion about growing shows !

Jim is offering a good deal currently .

I will be certain to jump on a couple of these before the end of the month .

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...or-2-quot-deal

I will also be purchasing plenty of the Hinkspix16 controllers over the next few months .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast