Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Mega Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Mega Tree

I am looking for some advise...

Building a Mega Tree - Thinking 800 Pixels (WS2811) - 16 Strands at 50 each.

Looking to purchase a new controller. Thinking about Sandevices E682

Looking to use Vixen 3 software.

This is all very overwhelming!!!

Where to i purchase the Sandevices E682? I can find pixels and power supplies easily.

I currently have a small pixel matrix of 350 pixels using a T1000 controller with LEDEDIT - Not happy with it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

gocwbys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 1st Mega Tree

Quote Originally Posted by gocwbys View Post
    I am looking for some advise...

Building a Mega Tree - Thinking 800 Pixels (WS2811) - 16 Strands at 50 each.

Looking to purchase a new controller. Thinking about Sandevices E682

Looking to use Vixen 3 software.

This is all very overwhelming!!!

Where to i purchase the Sandevices E682? I can find pixels and power supplies easily.

I currently have a small pixel matrix of 350 pixels using a T1000 controller with LEDEDIT - Not happy with it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

gocwbys

Welcome aboard, if you take things one step at a time, as you are doing, it won't seem too overwhelming and remember this forum is a great place for help when you need it. I can give you some info on the Sandevices, I am running 4 and a lot of people here are running a lot more the I am and I have not had one problem with them. There are also a few other good controllers out there and I am sure you can get some info from the people using them. here is a link to Jim's web site to order the Sandevices controllers and he does have his phone number there if you need help or more information.
    Gary

http://sandevices.com/aboutus.html

3. Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can't find a used one on here or the green site, then you can purchase a new one (Kit or assembled) from http://www.sandevices.com/index.html
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

5. Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and congrats for taking this on. I was starting out last year at this time with the same plan. 16x50 mega tree with E682 etc.. Feel free to check out my thread of the tree building http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...Remote-Control

7. Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have many things to consider, preferably before you buy anything.

First is the controller. I know you say you want an E682. Why? Why that specific controller? If you are looking at something you can kit build, then thats a reasonable choice. However, if you can spring about $20 more on the controller, you can get a Falcon F16v2 very shortly (end of the month) or a v3 later in spring. The Falcon is a far better controller with way more capabilities than the 682. Its well worth more than the $20 difference to be quite honest. Do you need that capability for just a megatree? No, quite unlikely. However, the long term payout is quite likely very much a "I wish I had" scenario. Many people are happy with the 682. Many are happy with the Falcons. I am just saying you might want to look into your options before comitting to one now.

Next is software choice. Vixen is not bad at all. Its a solid package and, for me, was pretty easy to learn on. However, I would recommend you also look at xLights. Its learning curve is a bit steeper I will admit. But, its ability to deliver quality on your lights is definitely worth the learning investment. I started with Vixen. I used xLights last year so I have personally used both. And, if I had to start all over again, I would choose xLights to begin with. Both have progressed since I began with each one, but the rate of progress is substantially greater on xLights. Its also WAY easier to share sequences from others and get them working on your layout with xLights than it is in Vixen. If I did something on my 24x60 megatree in vixen you would put great effort to get it to run on your 16x50 and thats not the case with xLights. There are many free and for-purchase sequences available for xLights and that is not the case with Vixen. Looking at other's sequences is a very good learning tool which isn't very easy to do in Vixen. All I am saying is try both. Its ok to install both and try both at the same time. Then choose which you would like to go forward with.

Have you decided on a method of supporting your strings? I would highly recommend you ignore the copies and knockoff strips and go with Boscoyo pixel strips (boscoyostudio.com).

What about support pole system? Have you looked into how you are going to hold the thing up? If not, look through the many ideas here on the forum. Also, look into the JUMP and ASAP pole systems by Walter Monkhouse. And the Portable Hole bases also by Walter. (These are things you build, not buy)

Another thing you may wish to look into is the Christmas Expo coming up this summer. You can learn a heck of a lot from the seminars there as well as shaking hands and seeing faces of many here as well as vendors you might be considering buying from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You have many things to consider, preferably before you buy anything.

First is the controller. I know you say you want an E682. Why? Why that specific controller? If you are looking at something you can kit build, then thats a reasonable choice. However, if you can spring about $20 more on the controller, you can get a Falcon F16v2 very shortly (end of the month) or a v3 later in spring. The Falcon is a far better controller with way more capabilities than the 682. Its well worth more than the $20 difference to be quite honest. Do you need that capability for just a megatree? No, quite unlikely. However, the long term payout is quite likely very much a "I wish I had" scenario. Many people are happy with the 682. Many are happy with the Falcons. I am just saying you might want to look into your options before comitting to one now.

Next is software choice. Vixen is not bad at all. Its a solid package and, for me, was pretty easy to learn on. However, I would recommend you also look at xLights. Its learning curve is a bit steeper I will admit. But, its ability to deliver quality on your lights is definitely worth the learning investment. I started with Vixen. I used xLights last year so I have personally used both. And, if I had to start all over again, I would choose xLights to begin with. Both have progressed since I began with each one, but the rate of progress is substantially greater on xLights. Its also WAY easier to share sequences from others and get them working on your layout with xLights than it is in Vixen. If I did something on my 24x60 megatree in vixen you would put great effort to get it to run on your 16x50 and thats not the case with xLights. There are many free and for-purchase sequences available for xLights and that is not the case with Vixen. Looking at other's sequences is a very good learning tool which isn't very easy to do in Vixen. All I am saying is try both. Its ok to install both and try both at the same time. Then choose which you would like to go forward with.

Have you decided on a method of supporting your strings? I would highly recommend you ignore the copies and knockoff strips and go with Boscoyo pixel strips (boscoyostudio.com).

What about support pole system? Have you looked into how you are going to hold the thing up? If not, look through the many ideas here on the forum. Also, look into the JUMP and ASAP pole systems by Walter Monkhouse. And the Portable Hole bases also by Walter. (These are things you build, not buy)

Another thing you may wish to look into is the Christmas Expo coming up this summer. You can learn a heck of a lot from the seminars there as well as shaking hands and seeing faces of many here as well as vendors you might be considering buying from.
    This is a very nice summary. I agree with all of it. I have a bunch of Sandevices and there is certainly nothing wrong with buying them. But the Falcon gear is technically WAY ahead of all the controller manufacturers with their FPGA-based design. A single Falcon F16 V2 or V3 is an amazing home base for any display. As you should do with any controllers you buy, give some consideration for having a spare in case you suffer an issue.

Xlights has a team of very aggressive programmers who are expanding leaps and bounds. also gives you the simple option of using the Falcon Pi Player (FPP) software to run your whole show on low cost Raspberry Pi computers. Falcon makes a PiCap card that daughters on a PI. The PiCap has two pixel outputs capable of 800 pixels each AND gives you a DMX out. All for $35 (plus the Pi).
    Thanks,
    Denny Cole, Cary N.C.

[URL]http://christmascarolina.com.com[/URL]
    224 Channels LOR, 48 Channels Renard DMX, 54 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 Pixel Controllers
    42K Lights - Mostly Incandescent, 4 Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, 2 CoroFlakes with 100 Smart Modules, 8 Large RGB Ornaments
    9 TIR Destiny RGB Spots, "Hopped Up" Blowmolds, Wireframes, Inflatables with External Light Control
    [URL="http://www.ColeFamilyChristmasLights.com"]www.ColeFamilyChristmasLights.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]

10. Likes TMerk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice! I am not committed to anything yet but the fact I want the first Mega Tree in my city...

Software: Vixen - xLights - either would be fine - Soundslike xLights (can i get a link to download the software?)

Controller: I know i need a E1.31 controller, I also saw the HinksPix16 for about $ 150.00 on holidaycoro - I just need something to get my feet wet and control the tree, would like to be able to add additional controllers as i will expand this project "hopefully" each year.

Pixels - Should i go with 5V or 12V ? I like 5V as it uses let juice. On my current pixel matrix 5V seems to power 100 pixels just fine.

String Supports - thanks for the tip. I will look for the boscoyostudio.com strips

Pole system - Total DIY - currently have a tree with Dumb Leds - will re use it most likely

Post Thanks / Like

Software: xLights (free download)

Controller: F16 V2 or V3

Pixels: 12V bullets

String Supports: boscoyostudio.com

My Mega tree thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ight=mega+tree Many changes, read entire thread.

Post Thanks / Like

xlights.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gocwbys View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all the great advice! I am not committed to anything yet but the fact I want the first Mega Tree in my city...

Software: Vixen - xLights - either would be fine - Soundslike xLights (can i get a link to download the software?)

Controller: I know i need a E1.31 controller, I also saw the HinksPix16 for about $ 150.00 on holidaycoro - I just need something to get my feet wet and control the tree, would like to be able to add additional controllers as i will expand this project "hopefully" each year.

Pixels - Should i go with 5V or 12V ? I like 5V as it uses let juice. On my current pixel matrix 5V seems to power 100 pixels just fine.

String Supports - thanks for the tip. I will look for the boscoyostudio.com strips

Pole system - Total DIY - currently have a tree with Dumb Leds - will re use it most likely
    Getting a HinksPix16 you will thank yourself for doing so !

15. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast