Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Really Big Light" rebar base mount / upright position

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Really Big Light" rebar base mount / upright position

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    After printing and testing I do have some ideas that would make life easier.

RBL rebar mount adapter (part 2 of 2) - top part (PVC adapter) - This piece only needs to be 2 1/2" tall total. The small diameter can be used the entire distance and can be open at the top. This would allow the PVC to take up the length needed and could be glued or screwed into place to hold the 2 hole adapter in place. For me, it clips on the inside. It would also speed up the time to print considerably.
    The 10-32 screw hole is a little big. I tried to cut a thread, but the tap went in by hand. I guess I could drill it out for 1/4"-20.

RBL rebar mount adapter (part 1 of 2) - 2 hole - Voltorb is right, the holes need to be 180 from each other. One of the two holes is exposed over the opening, weakening the connection. Also, the center hole could be made smaller to accommodate the the smaller diameter rebar mount adapter to get a tight fit.

All of this could then be assembled outside the RBL and then put in. You could then fit the bullet pixel adapter and pixels afterward.m All of the pieces fit as expected and were a tight fit. I would make these changes before using it, though.
    Great ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by didjareally View Post
    Attachment 36770

I would have to do some printing and experimenting with supports but I would try to do it as one piece instead of 2. More than likely print it upside down as well
    My only concern with doing as a single print was having to clean up the support areas afterwards. I wanted a really clean area where the printed part went into the bulb. Could do either way, just depends if you want to clean up the support or glue the 2 parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I have been unable to do a clean print (using 30% supports), the support is on the inside and removes easily and can't be seen with the bulb assembled. I have two of these in my backyard doing a "heat test" per "dijareally" to make sure the design is rock solid. I printed in Petg, but may end up with ABS as both are better to tolerate the heat than PLA. I think most will be happy with the newer design which includes both metric and standard versions. My temps this week are in the upper 90's, so this should bode well for testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. I did my prints in PLA. Not too worried about the heat hear, Colorado in winter with highs in the 70's (at it hottest)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by compfire View Post
    My only concern with doing as a single print was having to clean up the support areas afterwards. I wanted a really clean area where the printed part went into the bulb. Could do either way, just depends if you want to clean up the support or glue the 2 parts.
    Supports take literally 20 seconds to remove and there is no post cleanup after pulling them off, so that isnt an issue. Having to glue the 2 pieces together adds in another fail point that I wouldnt want to deal with. Some people may prefer it that way though and may find it easier. On mine the posts for the notches will need a more cleaning than anything.
    Here is with half the supports removed
    20170717_212929.jpg

Here is with all the supports removed
    20170717_213050.jpg
    20170717_213043.jpg

Here are what the supports look like how they came off the piece
    20170717_213058.jpg

Anywho, i'll get both versions (different sized nuts) added to thingiverse tomorrow evening. Maybe add the third that isnt a through hole design, you can use whichever you prefer. I'll post the link tomorrow once they are up.

Post Thanks / Like

M4 version has been added, I need to pick up some 10-32 nuts/bolts to get the final dimensions correct before getting them added.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2441860

7. Thanks Voltorb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for adding that one into Thingiverse. You find the nub for the pvc pipe is tall enough to secure it against bangs and bumps or you tossing a screw through it to make sure it does not fall off?

I have about a dozen of the other style printed, but need to make the adapters to hold them to the bulb base yet. The tall post certainly traps a piece of pex so it cannot fall off in the bulb itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Its plenty tall (7mm). If you want, you could use goop or silicone sealer to hold it in place. It's a pretty good fit as it is.
    Last edited by Keith R; 07-20-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the bangs and bumps part. I printed a few of the new design last night with Polycarbonate. The support removed with little effort in almost one piece. I then attached a 6" length of schedule 40 1/2" PVC with a 4mm x 25mm bolt and nut. I cemented the 8 node print to the top. If they need to be disassembled in the future, the bottom will pull out enough to remove the bolt. I LOVE this design!

Post Thanks / Like

following

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast