Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Really Big Light" rebar base mount / upright position

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Really Big Light" rebar base mount / upright position

First, I wanted to say that I know there is another thread for this 3D model, but I was encouraged to make a new thread by myoung84 (the creator of the other thread). This model is different in design, and has been printed & tested. Please keep in mind this is a working prototype, and I am open to suggestions and ideas. The biggest part that I am going to change is the slot/hole for the wires to go through on the base. I don't have this finalized yet, but I'm not 100% sure of what wire size I am going to use. Once I have it closer to a finished product, I will post the STL files up to be shared.

I decided to print the mount in 2 parts. The reason I did it this way was to be able to print it without ANY support. I tried printed it as one complete part with support, but it took a bit of time to clean it up. Printing it in 2 parts comes out much cleaner, and then I just glue the 2 parts together. I also created 2 versions of it, the first one (black) has a extended top part on it (with a smaller diameter), that can slide into a 1/2" piece of PVC for mounting pixel modules to it (which is what I intend to do). The second one (green - "remember it is just a prototype") doesn't have the extended top on it. The base part is the same for both versions and does turn & lock into the base of the "Really Big Light".

Both versions are designed to mount on top of a 3/8" piece of rebar. They also have a rebar mount screw housing at the bottom of it. This is designed to be used with a #10-32 x 3/4" screw. This with keep the "Really Big Light" from turning on the piece of rebar.

I was encouraged to design other versions that would mount to the following:
    Mount for clipping 3 and 4 12mm bullet pixels (2 different options)
    Mount for clipping 3 and 4 12mm square pixels(2 different options)
    Mount for holding 3LED pixel modules
    I am willing to make these other versions, but I would need pixel mount designed for them that have been printed & tested to work from. Please let me know.

Pictures 1 of 3
    RBLmount01.jpg
    RBLmount02.jpg
    RBLmount03.jpg
    RBLmount04.jpg
    RBLmount05.jpg

2. Thanks Voltorb thanked for this post
    Likes Voltorb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Really Big Light" rebar base mount / upright position

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Did you post the stl's for these somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

My plan was to use the bullet pixel mounts. I would be interested in your files as well and see if this is a good alternative.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest 2 - 1/4" U shaped slots for the wires to enter/exit. It's not important to have a tight seal, as any moisture that crept in, would need to exit the bottom. This is a great design. I'm excited to print a few dozen for my display.

Post Thanks / Like

I will post the STL files up when I get home on July 3rd. I made some modifications to it so it can also be used with bullet pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I already have the bullet pixel mounts printed. Just need the bottom bits.

Post Thanks / Like

Following this as I have 21 I need to pick what I am doing with them. have some of the rectangle modules, have some spare pixels around, just have to make up my mind

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the one that has the 1/2" PVC mounted over it with the rebar clamp below (2nd set of pics). That way I can put my existing (8) pixel clip from didjareally inside for the bullets. I would want the black rebar piece to only be long enough to glue on a piece of PVC. I did not want to modify the existing RBL just yet. What I really need to do is learn how to make my own models in Fusion360 and not ask others for help, but you asked for ideas. At least I can print the models and let people know the results.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

12. Likes Voltorb liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast