Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding Pixels To An Existing LOR Show

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adding Pixels To An Existing LOR Show

Don’t forget to add the liscense upgrade for lor software. The reason I switched to xlights was that the lor fee was $200 just for my 800 pixel tree. Xlights is free and you could easily convert your 5 sequences to xlights once you map your props out. I would suggest downloading xlights and playing around with it before you spend the money on lor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dkelly0802 View Post
    Don’t forget to add the liscense upgrade for lor software. The reason I switched to xlights was that the lor fee was $200 just for my 800 pixel tree. Xlights is free and you could easily convert your 5 sequences to xlights once you map your props out. I would suggest downloading xlights and playing around with it before you spend the money on lor.
    I just bought a new house last month so this might be the perfect time to switch over to xlights.

I can always revert back to my LOR software if need be. But either way I will have to redo the sequences to match the new house layout.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

Xlights recently added an Ac toolbar that resembles lor and can do everything it does. There are great videos on the xlights.org site to show you how to group your lights and props and also on sequencing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dkelly0802 View Post
    Donít forget to add the liscense upgrade for lor software. The reason I switched to xlights was that the lor fee was $200 just for my 800 pixel tree. Xlights is free and you could easily convert your 5 sequences to xlights once you map your props out. I would suggest downloading xlights and playing around with it before you spend the money on lor.
    If you have an advanced LOR license the cost to upgrade to LOR S5, which includes Xlights in it, is $50.
    The advantage of using the built in Xlights LOR offers is you don't have to import/export your existing LOR files to the free version of Xlights, which I know has caused issues with folks due to file sizes being significantly increased in that process.

I assume the $200 for your 800 pixel tree was due to using Superstar, which is no longer necessary, and I agree is very costly!
    [URL="http://www.youngschristmas.com"]www.youngschristmas.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post
    If you have an advanced LOR license the cost to upgrade to LOR S5, which includes Xlights in it, is $50.
    The advantage of using the built in Xlights LOR offers is you don't have to import/export your existing LOR files to the free version of Xlights, which I know has caused issues with folks due to file sizes being significantly increased in that process.

I assume the $200 for your 800 pixel tree was due to using Superstar, which is no longer necessary, and I agree is very costly!
    I dont see S5 listed on their store? Is it already released? I do have a Superstar license but I am not a fan of that software.
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Post Thanks / Like

S5 is only beta. But is pretty sweet if they get the bugs worked out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's still beta as they have to fully work out the incorporation of SS into it.
    The nice thing is it's free while in beta, so go ahead a d/l it and test it out.
    ** Remember though the xlights part of it will have the same learning curve you would have with the "free' version, given it's a new approach to sequencing, unlike SE, PE, and SS which most LOR users are familiar with..
    [URL="http://www.youngschristmas.com"]www.youngschristmas.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I find the beta download? Tried looking on their page and couldnt locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post
    Yes, it's still beta as they have to fully work out the incorporation of SS into it.
    The nice thing is it's free while in beta, so go ahead a d/l it and test it out.
    ** Remember though the xlights part of it will have the same learning curve you would have with the "free' version, given it's a new approach to sequencing, unlike SE, PE, and SS which most LOR users are familiar with..

Post Thanks / Like

Several options

1) E1.31 with one of the many pixel controllers out there ie Sandevice, Falcon, etc. There's a "network perference" option in LOR software that also you to basically interface E1.31 controller with LOR. But there's also needed steps in setting up the controller itself...number of strings, pixels, universes and such.
    2) Stay with LOR protocal pixel controllers such as the LOR Pixie16 controller which has 16 ouputs that each can run 100 pixels and no more. In LOR Hardware Utility, you id this controller as you would LOR AC and dumb RGB boards. Pixie16 is about 1/2 the cost of e1.31 16 output controller but has much less capacity. But might be a good option for a single element such as mega tree.

Either option, allows you to incorporate pixel sequencing into your current LOR sequence. You don't have to "move away from LOR" to use pixels.

Entering 5th year for display and am now running e1.31, LOR AC and LOR dumb RG controlelrs, all via LOR. BTW, LOR Ver4 Pro has a Pixel Editon module in it which allows yoiu to secquece pixels. It's very similar to Xlights. I've used both and much prefer the LOR Pixel Editor.

There is a learning curve to E1.31,. It used PC's ethernet output and involved setting up IP addressing. The Pixie16 would be more plug/play.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been running LOR since 2008 myself and am up to 288 channels of AC! I have not had a display nor played with the software since 2014 due to health and income "troubles" that have stopped me from doing a display.

I have been looking at xLights for the past few months and tried playing with it a few times but have yet to have anyone give me some answers on converting my LOR sequences over to xLights other than the "watch videos" answer which BTW has not answered my question.
    I just downloaded the new S5 demo software and had one of my 272 channels "converted" over into it within 15 minutes! The new software looks very promising!

I got the demo S5 from http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/...LOR-5.0.18.exe

I still have to "build" my display setup models in S5 but would have to do that for xLights as well so I may just stay with LOR now since it looks like S5 is "basically" the xLights idea for sequencing.

I got a bit "miffed" from all the "sell your LOR stuff" and "watch the videos" answers that did not address any of the questions I tried to get an answer too! Way too much money invested in controllers and LEDs and now I am on SSI which puts a serious kink in my buying power for pixels sadly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast