Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding Pixels To An Existing LOR Show

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding Pixels To An Existing LOR Show

I currently run 32 LOR channels that control standard string lights and wire frames.

How hard would it be to add pixels into my display? Really I only want to add maybe 1 mega tree that will be pixels or a few mini trees/arches. I still want to use string lights/wire frames/blow molds as I love those and think they are more christmas-y than pixels.

But as they say 'Give the people what they want'

I see the mega tree pixel kit on the LOR website but that doesnt really go into detail about using pixels with a current LOR network.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adding Pixels To An Existing LOR Show

I do now what you want to do, I have 36 LOR channels controlling AC lights and use of E1.31 to control ws2811 pixels on my 50x16 pixel tree and my 4 arches with 30 pixels each and DMX for my dumb RGB mini trees. its not bad setting them up in SE but to build the models in LOR is a pita. I also set up the models in xlights which is easier and copy paste them in as LCB files. personally I prefer to DIY my stuff to save some cash, so I went with all my nodes and power supplies from ray wu. my board is a pixcon16 and I do like it but, if I were to do it again I would get a falcon board(more controllable).
    Something to consider tho is I'm having a real hard time getting my LOR sequences to convert over to xlights so I can make sequencing easier in one sequencer not two. so with only 32 channels you may have better luck. I like LOR a lot but feel lately they have dropped the ball in the pixel category. Having to use their 3 sequencers to accomplish what xlights or vixen can do in one and for free. any more questions feel free to ask. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdanna77 View Post
    I do now what you want to do, I have 36 LOR channels controlling AC lights and use of E1.31 to control ws2811 pixels on my 50x16 pixel tree and my 4 arches with 30 pixels each and DMX for my dumb RGB mini trees. its not bad setting them up in SE but to build the models in LOR is a pita. I also set up the models in xlights which is easier and copy paste them in as LCB files. personally I prefer to DIY my stuff to save some cash, so I went with all my nodes and power supplies from ray wu. my board is a pixcon16 and I do like it but, if I were to do it again I would get a falcon board(more controllable).
    Something to consider tho is I'm having a real hard time getting my LOR sequences to convert over to xlights so I can make sequencing easier in one sequencer not two. so with only 32 channels you may have better luck. I like LOR a lot but feel lately they have dropped the ball in the pixel category. Having to use their 3 sequencers to accomplish what xlights or vixen can do in one and for free. any more questions feel free to ask. Chris
    My main issue is that since I already have the controllers, software and sequences I would rather stick with it all instead of starting all over again. If it turns out that pixels are too much work to add to my current setup I will just scrap that and continue doing what I do.

I did build a mega tree out of string lights and it turned out ok for my first year. I would like it a lot better if I went full force into the re-design this summer and either used way more lights or went with different lights.
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    My main issue is that since I already have the controllers, software and sequences I would rather stick with it all instead of starting all over again. If it turns out that pixels are too much work to add to my current setup I will just scrap that and continue doing what I do.

I did build a mega tree out of string lights and it turned out ok for my first year. I would like it a lot better if I went full force into the re-design this summer and either used way more lights or went with different lights.
    Its really not hard and very doable, its just the LOR software makes a little tedious to sequence. if you copy and paste effects from xlights you can drop them in as a LCB file(clip board) this what I did this year for my arches and boscoyo snow flakes, worked great.
    it can be done all in SE but just takes longer.
    Look up videos by john storms on you tube. he shows how to add RGB channels and set up the hardware and network configurations.
    once that's done its easy. Definitely don't get discouraged its not that bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I made the leap from LOR to pixels and xLights about 3-4 years ago. It is a big leap and pixels have a big learning curve.

You say you use 32 AC channels currently. How many sequences do you have all set? How complex are they?
    I have no experience with LOR driving pixels. I determined that I was better off re-sequencing rather than importing and trying to go back and forth between xLights and LOR S3. LOR has probably improved their software in the meantime.

I think a pixel oriented sequencer deals with single channels better than a channel oriented sequencer deals with pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    I made the leap from LOR to pixels and xLights about 3-4 years ago. It is a big leap and pixels have a big learning curve.

You say you use 32 AC channels currently. How many sequences do you have all set? How complex are they?
    I have no experience with LOR driving pixels. I determined that I was better off re-sequencing rather than importing and trying to go back and forth between xLights and LOR S3. LOR has probably improved their software in the meantime.

I think a pixel oriented sequencer deals with single channels better than a channel oriented sequencer deals with pixels.
    I have 3 completed sequences and probably 1-2 partial sequences. I think they are complex but could use some editing. This was my first year sequencing so I had to learn to sequence pretty quickly.

I do plan to reuse the sequences for 2017 but add additional channels and redo a few sections of the sequence that I am not happy with.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to scap LOR, to get into pixels. You continue to run LOR out of USB and the pixel controller out of your ethernet port, via e1.31.

To sequence3 pixels for LOR use, you can either use LOR Sequence Editor,, Pixel Editor which is in the Pro version of LOR S4, or in xlights and then import into LOR sequence. A LOR sequence can be a combinination of AC, dumb RGB and pixel channels.

I've used xlights to develop/import effects in LOR SE and then do some tweeking in SE. Do plan to upgrade to LORS4 and give Pixel Editor a try.

I'm using the 4 outpuyt snadevices e6804s and have been happy with them. Looking for a 16 output pixel controller and will be buying a Falcon f16v3. Think the 16 output Sandevices e682 is getting a little dated for the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdanna77 View Post
    I think the Pixcon 16 is essentially Advatek's Pixlite 16 rebranded for LOR. I use the Pixlite series of controllers.
    What is it about the Falcon that is more controllable than the Pixcon/Pixlite?
    The limitation I am aware of, which really doesn't impact me, is that the Pixlite series only allow controlling a single type of pixel per controller. They can control just about style of pixels on the market, but it's one style per controller.
    Is there anything else the Falcon does that allows you better control?
    Thanks
    [URL="http://www.youngschristmas.com"]www.youngschristmas.com[/URL]

9. Thanks Marbleman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding pixels is easy in XLights or LOR but in my opinion LOR is not the best for Pixels unless you want to pay for SuperStar.
    Last year was my first year and I used LOR S4 with a 16 Channel LOR controller and an Alphapix16. I controlled everything using an old Dell PC I had. It worked great using a RS-485 dongle for the LOR and E1.31 for the Alphapix.
    This year I decided to switch to XLights. I had some issues setting up my system using RS485 and DMX at the same time in Xlights. I switched the LOR CTB16PC to DMX and now everything works great. As someone mentioned John Storms has some great videos on converting and using Xlights. Importing my LOR sequences didn't work very well for me so I'm re-sequencing my 6 songs. This year I'm adding a Falcon controller and switching the control over to a Raspberry PI. The great thing is you can keep your existing show and just load XLights and try it since it's free. XLights has a simulator similar to LOR so you can experiment b4 investing in lights.

11. Likes Jerry-Rigs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

adding pixels is not hard at all, I did it very quickly with LOR. I use the pixlite16 as my main controller and run my 2 LOR controllers off it, all DMX. 3 sequences would be very easy to add to. I had 10 when i switched. i can help you with mega tree with my sequences. mine is a 20x50 tree. would be easy to drop in to you sequences.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast