Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding Pixels To An Existing LOR Show

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adding Pixels To An Existing LOR Show

I also get a little annoyed when I ask questions and people instantly say "sell it all" or "LOR is over priced junk". I personally like LOR equipment and service. Their software took some getting used to but it works perfectly for what I need.

Now I am not a fan of SuperStar so I hope that S5 has a better pixel editor.

Did you just import your old S4 sequences into S5? Or was there more to it than that?

Quote Originally Posted by beeiilll View Post
    I have been running LOR since 2008 myself and am up to 288 channels of AC! I have not had a display nor played with the software since 2014 due to health and income "troubles" that have stopped me from doing a display.

I have been looking at xLights for the past few months and tried playing with it a few times but have yet to have anyone give me some answers on converting my LOR sequences over to xLights other than the "watch videos" answer which BTW has not answered my question.
    I just downloaded the new S5 demo software and had one of my 272 channels "converted" over into it within 15 minutes! The new software looks very promising!

I got the demo S5 from http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/...LOR-5.0.18.exe

I still have to "build" my display setup models in S5 but would have to do that for xLights as well so I may just stay with LOR now since it looks like S5 is "basically" the xLights idea for sequencing.

I got a bit "miffed" from all the "sell your LOR stuff" and "watch the videos" answers that did not address any of the questions I tried to get an answer too! Way too much money invested in controllers and LEDs and now I am on SSI which puts a serious kink in my buying power for pixels sadly.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    I also get a little annoyed when I ask questions and people instantly say "sell it all" or "LOR is over priced junk". I personally like LOR equipment and service. Their software took some getting used to but it works perfectly for what I need.

Now I am not a fan of SuperStar so I hope that S5 has a better pixel editor.

Did you just import your old S4 sequences into S5? Or was there more to it than that?
    I haven't imported anything from S4 yet. In fact, I am trying out the S5 demo on a different computer for the moment to see what it is all about but I like the looks of it so far!
    Being that I never used the pixel editor in S4, I am starting out pretty fresh with things. But I did get a file for a 4 color tree from a guy on the LOR forum and it has helped "explain" a lot of doing the setup of the display in the preview window and how to make up the "props" to let me use my sequences with S5. I have a lot of work to do since I have so many blow molds and other things that make up the 288 channels so far but once I get all those props made, it should be no problem to import my current sequences into it and then add pixels as I want to.
    I too am very happy with my LOR stuff. I have had only 1 triac fail me since I started in 2008 so I sure can't complain about the reliability of the units. Yes, they cost more but I built all my controllers from the kits except for 1 PC controller that I have. Plus the LOR factory is only an hour and a half away from me so I can run down there and pick up stuff if I need too as well as it is the biggest "city" that is close to me and we go shopping there at least once a month or so anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so we are over here writing xLights for free and you're complaining that you didn't get enough hand-holding. We have over 4300 members on Facebook now so that's why we've done our best to make videos because we can't personally tell every single person how to setup their show. If you can't take the time to watch the videos we make then are you willing to pay me to help? You sound willing to pay LOR to use their software. Nobody on the xLights development team is telling you to sell your LOR equipment. I personally still use several LOR 16 channel Pro controllers. I spent over a week of my life reverse engineering the LOR protocol to help LOR users run their equipment better in xLights especially the ones with the Pixie cards. I've given hundreds if not thousands of hours of free help and free software development for only the donations we receive. If you want to pay for the LOR software I don't care but don't act like we didn't give enough of our free time to you.
    Didn't pay for a sig

4. Likes Namecips, kk6ou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I played around with S5 last night but got quite a few errors when trying to import my S4 sequences. I didnt have much free time at that moment but once I do I will dig deeper into S5.

Quote Originally Posted by beeiilll View Post
    I haven't imported anything from S4 yet. In fact, I am trying out the S5 demo on a different computer for the moment to see what it is all about but I like the looks of it so far!
    Being that I never used the pixel editor in S4, I am starting out pretty fresh with things. But I did get a file for a 4 color tree from a guy on the LOR forum and it has helped "explain" a lot of doing the setup of the display in the preview window and how to make up the "props" to let me use my sequences with S5. I have a lot of work to do since I have so many blow molds and other things that make up the 288 channels so far but once I get all those props made, it should be no problem to import my current sequences into it and then add pixels as I want to.
    I too am very happy with my LOR stuff. I have had only 1 triac fail me since I started in 2008 so I sure can't complain about the reliability of the units. Yes, they cost more but I built all my controllers from the kits except for 1 PC controller that I have. Plus the LOR factory is only an hour and a half away from me so I can run down there and pick up stuff if I need too as well as it is the biggest "city" that is close to me and we go shopping there at least once a month or so anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite sure where this reply came from, I never complained that xLights didn't hold my hand or that it wasn't a good product.

The comment about people stating LOR is junk and to sell it all, generally comes from random forum users (not specifically this forum) that jump to conclusions about LOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrock View Post
    Ok so we are over here writing xLights for free and you're complaining that you didn't get enough hand-holding. We have over 4300 members on Facebook now so that's why we've done our best to make videos because we can't personally tell every single person how to setup their show. If you can't take the time to watch the videos we make then are you willing to pay me to help? You sound willing to pay LOR to use their software. Nobody on the xLights development team is telling you to sell your LOR equipment. I personally still use several LOR 16 channel Pro controllers. I spent over a week of my life reverse engineering the LOR protocol to help LOR users run their equipment better in xLights especially the ones with the Pixie cards. I've given hundreds if not thousands of hours of free help and free software development for only the donations we receive. If you want to pay for the LOR software I don't care but don't act like we didn't give enough of our free time to you.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I say that the statement was meant for me and not you by any means.

Just for the "record", I have watched a lot of videos for xLights (probably about 25 hours or so at this point). I found a great deal of them to be for earlier versions of the program and some not even applicable to the current state of it! Not that it is something that is not to be expected with a program such as xLights due to the constantly changing ways to implement different things. Makes it tough when you watch one and then go to the program only to see that what was in the video doesn't work that way? Also tough as most videos "assume" that I have worked with pixels and a pixel style editor (which I have not). I have never gotten any answers to my first questions which were pretty much on the starting of xLights and what to do with it to make LOR import easier. At least a person on the LOR forum was nice enough to send me a pixel prop file which helped explain a lot of the basic setup "ideas" that one needs to know!
    My biggest problem was with emailing 17 different people who have worked with LOR and xLights to try and get a handle on how to even begin doing the changeover and/or what videos would help with beginning to learn how xLights would work and not getting even ONE response from anyone! Doesn't say much for the "community" does it?
    I went to the LOR forum and got responses to S5 within a few hours with it. Been 16 days since emailing and still no response.
    No, I don't want anyone's time but a little help when starting up a new program to learn would sure be a small benefit for those of us who are not software people by any means. You, yourself (Gil) told me that an answer to a question I made on the FB forum was "too involved" and that I should "go watch a video on it", yet you did not give me any link or even a hint what or where to find a video on the question?

I am not trying to start any fights or whatever, I just go where I can get answers. Xlights is a great and developing program from what I read and see others commenting on it. I will play with it more over time but right now I am willing to stay with LOR and learn S5 which will help me if I decide that xLigths is a better program (for me). LOR does everything I need too at this point and I have used it for years so am familiar with it and it has enough for me to be able to get a handle on things till I start to add pixels into my display (if I even do).
    Sorry if you got the impression that I am trying make anyone think that your work or the program is not a good one. That is certainly not my intention.
    And if I do decide to use xLights, then I will be more than happy to donate to the funding for it
    Last edited by beeiilll; 03-27-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill I just looked up your question on Facebook and for one I was the first one to respond and it was a paragraph trying to help. Then I have a second reply helping out with your follow-up reply. Then you asked your broad question of the whole import process. Yes I will tell people to go lookup the videos on videos.xlights.org because I want to see them make an effort first. If you come back to me and say you couldn't find an applicable video then I would have spent the time to find one. But when I reply like that I'm also hoping our many users will help out. We have many that are better experts at that LOR import process than I am and it would help if they would step up more often and take the support load off of the developers. I've had a few users where I just done the entire import for them and emailed them the xLights files. Last reply I got from you on that thread was that you were going to lookup the videos and you were sure you'd have more questions. The thread went dormant. I don't see any more posts where you came back for help. Sorry you didn't have a good experience in our "community" but I've been in LOR forums and they are full of unpleasant folks that spoil it for everyone else.
    Didn't pay for a sig

9. Thanks beeiilll thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I don’t know if you are on Facebook or not but there are a lot of people In the xlights group that have answered many questions and solved many problems for me. Also on the xlights site if you look there is a resource link to great info and a video section with a video series called xessentials that is very helpful. There is actually a video there on importing lor sequences into xlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies to the OP for dragging this thread off-topic. Either LOR or xLights will work. It is just up to what you want to use.
    Last edited by beeiilll; 03-28-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't have the time to read a long story...I'll wait for the movie to come out. Bottom line if you need my help I'm not hard to find.
    Didn't pay for a sig

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123